DOJ Honors 2013 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:17 pm

Chartreuse wrote:No news -- EOIR-OCIJ, selected as finalist, references contacted, no offer.
Ditto. Haven't heard of any EOIR offers yet- looks like they're not going to start going out until at least tomorrow...maybe later?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No news [EOIR-NON-OCIJ; selected as a finalist, no references contact (to my knowledge and I might not know), no offer].
Same here. Two of my references are out of the country right now so I suppose they could have been contacted and they might not even know. I'm a bit worried that they will have a hard time getting in touch with my references and that will delay or prevent a potential offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:33 pm

Another EOIR-OCIJ (and another component), finalist, no reference checks (that I'm aware of), no offer, no news.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:36 pm

No news on my end either. EOIR-non-OCIJ selected as a finalist, no references contacted (probably since they haven't told me and probably would). No offer or call.

womp womp.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:40 pm

My guess is if no one's heard by now we're done for the day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:57 pm

So if you didnt hear from a field office of ATR... your ding is in the mail?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:10 pm

Is anyone else worried by the delay in OCIJ offers? I've had the nervous poops since last Wednesday thinking about it. Everyone I've talked to who has done time with the OCIJ in the last 10 years has said that the offers came through the week of Thanksgiving.

Do you think the fiscal cliff, or any other budgetary issue, has anything to do with the delay in offers? I'm terrified that they will have to cut the number of clerks, especially because my first choice location is one of the courts that, according to rumor, is losing it's clerk position.

Am I just as crazy/neurotic as everyone else?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:17 pm

I'm still trying to hold out hope considering (1) the delayed interviews because of Hurricane Sandy, and (2)Thanksgiving being basically a week earlier than usual.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:33 pm

Reiterating what I said last week, the ACIJ I interviewed with told me that she wouldn't be surprised if offers didn't start going out until the beginning of December. So, don't worry until then or until people start reporting offers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:36 pm

There are so many people posting here regularly who are EOIR finalists. We'll hear if offers start going out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:38 pm

I agree with everyone else. The ACIJ I interviewed with said the same thing about offers going out the beginning of December, other people have already posted earlier in this thread that they know people who got OCIJ offers who received them after Thanksgiving, and I'm pretty sure that in previous years' threads, offers went out into January. Plus, I know designating finalists doesn't appear to have been delayed, but there *was* a hurricane during the interview process, and the government *did* close for 2 days, so that may well have backed things up. Finally, it's the Monday after Thanksgiving, so it's not like there's been a *major* delay. So, no, I'm not worried by the delay (except in that it means I have to keep staring at my phone willing it to ring...).

I would be kinda surprised if the number of clerks were being cut (or at least by any significant amount - the website says 65, someone here cited 58), just because I have the impression the immigration courts have a really heavy workload as it is, and the clerks are a relatively cheap way of addressing that workload. (Plus, the majority of spending cuts that the fiscal cliff is supposed to bring about are in defense spending.) Also, I know someone reported that their interviewers were surprised by the number of advertised positions - but the same exact thing happened last year (someone reported their interviewer being surprised by the numbers). I find it easier to believe that an individual interviewer wasn't up on the final numbers than that EOIR got approval over the summer to advertise they're hiring way more people than they actually will be able to hire (they know going into the process which clerks' terms are up this year and therefore how many clerks they need - the numbers may not ultimately match but I have to think they're going to try to be close).

But then, what I know about how the government budget process works could be engraved on the head of a pin, so who knows? I just don't think the delay has been significant enough yet to start speculating. I'm much more likely to think that not hearing anything from OCIJ means that I didn't get the gig than that the government is cutting positions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Do you think the fiscal cliff, or any other budgetary issue, has anything to do with the delay in offers? I'm terrified that they will have to cut the number of clerks, especially because my first choice location is one of the courts that, according to rumor, is losing it's clerk position.
I talked to the ACIJ who interviewed me about this and she said that even if we go over the fiscal cliff the money for the JLCs is set and not going anywhere. Unfortunately, she could not say the same about her own job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:03 pm

Spoke with source that offers for OCIJ may not go out until next week and will likely continue into January. The number of positions is still above 60.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Do you think the fiscal cliff, or any other budgetary issue, has anything to do with the delay in offers?
The fiscal cliff is a Paul Ryan-esque fiction, HTH (or at least the idea that if Romney was elected, our fiscal affairs would be drastically different is a fiction). Right after Republicans took control of the house in 2010, they approved another gigantic budget requiring lots more debt, a huge chunk of which was/is used to support unnecessary military efforts to enforce democracy elsewhere while our own democracy is in disrepair.

.....yeah, i mad

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:38 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Do you think the fiscal cliff, or any other budgetary issue, has anything to do with the delay in offers?
The fiscal cliff is a Paul Ryan-esque fiction, HTH (or at least the idea that if Romney was elected, our fiscal affairs would be drastically different is a fiction). Right after Republicans took control of the house in 2010, they approved another gigantic budget requiring lots more debt, a huge chunk of which was/is used to support unnecessary military efforts to enforce democracy elsewhere while our own democracy is in disrepair.

.....yeah, i mad
That's not what people mean by the fiscal cliff....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Spoke with source that offers for OCIJ may not go out until next week and will likely continue into January. The number of positions is still above 60.
ah, thank you very much for sharing. Still hoping that other EOIR offers go out sooner though...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:55 pm

Anyone heard from ENRD? Mine is still 'selected for interview'...

thanks

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from ENRD? Mine is still 'selected for interview'...

thanks
I have no personal knowledge, but I think it's a very safe bet that if you are still at "selected for interview" for ENRD, it's over.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from ENRD? Mine is still 'selected for interview'...

thanks
I have no personal knowledge, but I think it's a very safe bet that if you are still at "selected for interview" for ENRD, it's over.
I'm also still at Selected for Interview for ENRD, and this is my assumption. Still haven't actually heard of anyone being given an offer though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:

thanks
Well, now, that was the opposite of helpful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

thanks
Also still at "Selected for Interview" for ENRD. I was under the impression from my interview that finalists would be selected "around Thanksgiving," with offers going out after that -- but was cautioned that the finalist selection process was only the first step. With ENRD hiring directly into its divisions, they have a lot of matching to try to do (between candidates' stated interests and apparent strengths, and divisions' anticipated needs -- as of next September). So, lots of uncertainty. It would be helpful if just one ENRD person could confirm their status has changed to "Selected as Finalist" at this point (helpful as in, the rest of us could give up hope), but without that information, anything else is pure conjecture.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

thanks
Also still at "Selected for Interview" for ENRD. I was under the impression from my interview that finalists would be selected "around Thanksgiving," with offers going out after that -- but was cautioned that the finalist selection process was only the first step. With ENRD hiring directly into its divisions, they have a lot of matching to try to do (between candidates' stated interests and apparent strengths, and divisions' anticipated needs -- as of next September). So, lots of uncertainty. It would be helpful if just one ENRD person could confirm their status has changed to "Selected as Finalist" at this point (helpful as in, the rest of us could give up hope), but without that information, anything else is pure conjecture.
Given all of the evidence in this thread and the latest posting on the Avue site ("I believe that status changes as finalists are selected."), it's pretty far from pure conjecture.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:40 pm

most of the info on this thread is pure conjecture. people come here to find out what's going on with other folks so they can make educated guesses on what's happening with their application. if you want certainty just wait for official word from the DOJ. anything else is going to be conjecture.

also some of you folks need to stop being so hyper neurotic (especially the person who thought the fiscal cliff would cut these jobs just because they hadn't heard back yet). calm down people!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Given all of the evidence in this thread and the latest posting on the Avue site ("I believe that status changes as finalists are selected."), it's pretty far from pure conjecture.
I think it was pretty clear that in context, this meant "status [from selected for interview to selected as finalist] changes when finalists are selected," not that those status changes had all already taken place. I mean, personally, I would assume that if I hadn't been selected as a finalist, it is probably all over by now, but since no one has confirmed here that they were selected as a finalist by ENRD, you never know.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:50 pm

Another USAO offer out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”