Fall 2012 - 2L OCI Results Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bk1

Diamond

Fall 2012 - 2L OCI Results

Post by bk1 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:29 am

Last year's raw data: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=165714
Last year's compiled results: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=175410

Compiled Data

2/25/13 Edit: I have finally gone through the data to sort it into something reasonable. First I split transfers from non-transfers. Then I ordered by school and then by class rank. I will work on other sorting methods (region, work exp, IP, etc) when I've got some more time.

Non-Transfers Transfers Source: Raw Data

Original Post Below
9/19/12 Edit: Here is the current results data. I will edit it at a later date to make the responses uniform and publish some groupings (e.g. by school rank, by target market, etc) that will make it more useful.

This is a thread for posting your 2L OCI results so that future classes can have some data regarding how people fared at OCI. Rather than use anon and then compile the data afterwards, Google docs forms simplifies the process. The data submitted is completely anonymous (the only thing I will receive other than the questions answered is the time at which you submitted them). Please only submit the form once you have completed OCI, meaning you either have struck out or have an offer in hand that you've accepted. I know many people are still in the thick of OCI and it may last several more months for some. With that in mind I intend to release the data in November/December once the vast majority of people have finished the process.

Thanks for participating. If you want you can also reply to this thread anonymously so that people have a sense of how people have done so far prior to me compiling all the data, but that is up to you.

Fall 2012 - 2L OCI Results Input Form

Anonymous User

Re: Fall 2012 - 2L OCI Results

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:14 am

Thanks for putting this together. If you don't mind, in addition to filling out the survey, I'll post here so that my data can be helpful immediately. Hopefully others will do likewise. Good luck to everyone hustlin' out there.
School: T30
Target Markets: NYC (primary), TX, DC
WE: 1yr (legal)
IP: No
Law Review: yes
Mass Mail Applications: 60
CBs offered from mass mail: 9
OCI Screener Interviews offered: 17
OCI Screeners Accepted: 12
CB from OCI: 7
Total CB offered: 16
CB Accepted: 8
Dings (post CB): 2 (V5, V10) (Never heard back from V30, V30)
Offers: 4 (V5, V15, V15, V30)
Accepted: V15
Notes: My cycle definitely exceeded my expectations, and I believe it was due to a few things: 1) being published in a law journal 2) mass mailing early (first week of July) 3) solid, relevant 1L summer experience 4) mad networking
Thank You Notes: Sent to people that I felt I really connected with. Got replies to most.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:20 pm

School*: T2
Market(s):NY
Approximate class rank: Around 6%
Law review: Y
Work experience: No
IP background: No
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really):  Finance degree, maybe but still no actual WE. Worked with a great judge 1L summer
Screening Interviews:  19
Mass mail Interviews:  3 Collection employers (didn't "mass" mail)
Callbacks received:  11
Callbacks accepted:  3
Offers w/vault ranges: Accepted v10
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? 0
Thank-you notes sent: 0
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:49 pm

School: MVP
Market(s):NY, 2 Secondary
Approximate class rank: Median, slightly below
Law review: No, secondary journal
Work experience: Two years
IP background: No
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): URM, previous work experience really helped with interviewing/confidence, good connections from 1L judge
Screening Interviews: 43 (OCI, mass mail, job fairs, resume drops)
Mass mail Interviews: 4
Callbacks received: 22
Callbacks accepted: 15
Offers w/vault ranges: V20, V30, V70
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? Several callbacks pending
Thank-you notes sent: 2

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:10 pm

School: T20
Market(s): LA, SF/SV
Approximate class rank: Top 25%
Work experience: No
IP background: Yes
Anything else that might have an impact? I'm personable.
Screening Interviews: 25ish (OCI + firms I didn't get screeners with contacted me)
Mass mail Interviews: 0
Callbacks received: 12
Callbacks accepted: 10
Offers w/vault ranges: 5, all at least V25 firms.
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? No rejections from callbacks. I accepted an offer though and have to withdraw from everything else. I didn't keep track of my rejections, but I think I got a rejection from every other firm I screened with.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:35 am

what do you know, all the people who have decided "i'll just post here so my data can be helpful immediately" instead of just using the google docs form were wildly successful at OCI

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:54 am

fatduck wrote:what do you know, all the people who have decided "i'll just post here so my data can be helpful immediately" instead of just using the google docs form were wildly successful at OCI
What are you accusing those braggarts fine citizens of, Mr. Fatduck?

anon5225

New

Post by anon5225 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:44 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
fatduck wrote:what do you know, all the people who have decided "i'll just post here so my data can be helpful immediately" instead of just using the google docs form were wildly successful at OCI
are those dickfingers in the shadow of your avatar?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:32 pm

anon5225 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
It's a metaphor for the job market. The duck is a law student.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mvpforme

Bronze

Post by mvpforme » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:27 pm

Last edited by mvpforme on Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:08 pm

I'm still interviewing and haven't made up my mind yet, but I will just say that while the advice to target a market is credited, you can recruit across multiple markets if you have some good reasons. I am recruiting in a number of large markets and I already have offers in multiple disparate places (not just NYC and one other).

Tips for recruiting in multiple markets:

1) Pick firms carefully - Some care a lot about ties, some don't even ask. It's not all about the market, there is definitely variation between firms.
2) Have a good story - You will be asked about why this or that market, even in NYC. Just have a good reason for each market.
3) It helps to have a particular practice area interest - This is why I'm looking across multiple markets and it has made the why X firm question a million times easier to answer. I have flamed out a few times because of my relatively narrow focus, but it's generally an advantage.
4) Good grades will help - Most of the people I know who are having success across multiple markets have fairly strong grades. You don't necessarily have to be Top 10% and LR at a T14, but it helps a lot. I'm not in this category.

All of this said, I would not recommend what I am doing to almost anyone. Flying all over the country is hard. You have to be really dodgy and sometimes walk the fine line between lying and stretching the truth when asked questions about your location preferences. It's really only a good strategy for someone who truly can't make up their mind and would rather take firm X in say Dallas over firm Y in Atlanta but for all other firms they prefer Houston (this is complete BS and not a decision I am making, but my preference rankings are not in order of location).
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SuperCerealBrah

Bronze

Post by SuperCerealBrah » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:10 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
anon5225 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
It's a metaphor for the job market. The duck is a law student.
:lol: :lol:

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm still interviewing and haven't made up my mind yet, but I will just say that while the advice to target a market is credited, you can recruit across multiple markets if you have some good reasons. I am recruiting in a number of large markets and I already have offers in multiple disparate places (not just NYC and one other).

Tips for recruiting in multiple markets:

1) Pick firms carefully - Some care a lot about ties, some don't even ask. It's not all about the market, there is definitely variation between firms.
2) Have a good story - You will be asked about why this or that market, even in NYC. Just have a good reason for each market.
3) It helps to have a particular practice area interest - This is why I'm looking across multiple markets and it has made the why X firm question a million times easier to answer. I have flamed out a few times because of my relatively narrow focus, but it's generally an advantage.
4) Good grades will help - Most of the people I know who are having success across multiple markets have fairly strong grades. You don't necessarily have to be Top 10% and LR at a T14, but it helps a lot. I'm not in this category.

All of this said, I would not recommend what I am doing to almost anyone. Flying all over the country is hard. You have to be really dodgy and sometimes walk the fine line between lying and stretching the truth when asked questions about your location preferences. It's really only a good strategy for someone who truly can't make up their mind and would rather take firm X in say Dallas over firm Y in Atlanta but for all other firms they prefer Houston (this is complete BS and not a decision I am making, but my preference rankings are not in order of location).
man, this is super helpful. especially #4. Helps to be top of a T14? While controversial, I think you are on to something here. cutting edge stuff and very relevant to this thread

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:51 am

kwais wrote: man, this is super helpful. especially #4. Helps to be top of a T14? While controversial, I think you are on to something here. cutting edge stuff and very relevant to this thread
You obviously missed the last part about being successful despite the fact that I am not on LR or in the top 10%. Sorry you're butthurt about not being in that category though.

I only posted because I know that almost all CSOs tell students not to target more than 2 markets and even discourage top students from recruiting in too many places or places where they have weak ties.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
kwais wrote: man, this is super helpful. especially #4. Helps to be top of a T14? While controversial, I think you are on to something here. cutting edge stuff and very relevant to this thread
You obviously missed the last part about being successful despite the fact that I am not on LR or in the top 10%. Sorry you're butthurt about not being in that category though.

I only posted because I know that almost all CSOs tell students not to target more than 2 markets and even discourage top students from recruiting in too many places or places where they have weak ties.
1) lolwut
2) if only you knew how not butthurt I am
3) your advice was the biggest jumble of not-so-humble brag/inapplicable to most people/useless crap ever.
4) lolwut
5) people, look at last year's thread of this kind. It was standardized and very helpful. No more handing out general advice based on a whopping sample size of one and the realization that, despite all evidence, your mom was right and you are a special snowflake

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:11 pm

Thanks to everyone for submitting OCI results so far. This should be helpful to future OCIers. Keep 'em coming.

My goal is to get more results than last year's results thread (which had a little over 200 responses, we're just shy of 100 now), but ideally I'd just like to get as many as possible to paint as clear a picture as we can.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:10 pm

I am a 2L at a Tier 3 school. I got one offer from a well-known federal congressional agency for a summer associate position which, ostensibly, turns into a full-time job after graduation. I am in the top 28%. I am not on a law journal/review. I am not on moot court. Nor do I participate in any student groups/organizations.

Good luck to everyone, and if you put your mind to it you will get the job you are looking for.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am a 2L at a Tier 3 school. I got one offer from a well-known federal congressional agency for a summer associate position which, ostensibly, turns into a full-time job after graduation. I am in the top 28%. I am not on a law journal/review. I am not on moot court. Nor do I participate in any student groups/organizations.

Good luck to everyone, and if you put your mind to it you will get the job you are looking for.
Did you have govt experience 1l year? If you don't mind, what do you think made you stand out in the interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:50 am

School: UT/UCLA/USC/Vandy
Market(s): NY
Approximate class rank: Top 10%
Anything else that might have an impact? Not really
Screening Interviews: 25ish (OCI + off campus fair)
Callbacks received: 8
Callbacks accepted: 7
Offers w/vault ranges: 2 V5, 1 V10, and haven't heard back from 2
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? 1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:20 pm

Since the form doesn't have a spot for withdrawals (except for callbacks)...

School: mid-west T-30
Market(s): SoCal
Approximate class rank: Top 20%
Law review: yes
Work experience: yes, 4 years
Anything else that might have an impact? UG was USC/UCLA
Screening Interviews: 35 offered, accepted 25 (some in later phases of OCI were canceled because of callbacks)
Mass mail Interviews: 8 from mass mail or networking (included in the 35 above)
Callbacks received: 10 (3 from mass mail or networking)
Callbacks accepted: 8
Offers w/vault ranges: 1 V25 (top choice)
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? received rejections from 2 V50's, 1 NLJ 250. Withdrew from 3 other vault firms post callback and 2 pre-callback.

Thank-you notes sent: Yes (I actually think it may have helped with the V25 or they just really liked me, (received responses from every interviewer), but looking back it likely had no effect with any other interview I had)

While I ended up getting an offer through the OCI route and I realize that firms may have just like my W/E and law review.

Best advice I can offer is to actually network with attorney's in the area during 1L year. While this will not make up for having shitty grades, it will provide a significant bump if you are on the edge. It was also much much more effective in getting interviews outside of OCI (3 of the 8 screeners under "mass mail" were submitted through a partner or associate I had met during 1L year). 2 of these led to callbacks. Even of the OCI firms, 2 of my call backs came from firms in which I had met with associates or partners for lunch or coffee.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:44 pm

School: 3rd Tier
Target Markets: DC
WE: 0
IP: NO
Law Review: NO
Mass Mail Applications: 36
CBs offered from mass mail: 1
OCI Screener Interviews offered: 40
OCI Screeners Accepted: 40
CB from OCI: 0
Total CB offered: 0
CB Accepted: 0
Dings (post CB):
Offers: 1 (SA Honors Program - Major Congressional Agency)
Accepted: Probably going to accept soon, after I hear back from others.
Notes: I am not on moot court, law review or any other extracurricular on campus, and only top 28% at 3rd Tier. Got a salaried SA position with well-respected Federal Agency in DC which will pretty much turn into a full-time job post-graduation.
Thank You Notes: Sent thank you emails to all OCI's

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:13 pm

School: MVP
Market(s): NY, Chi, home secondary
Approximate class rank: dead median
Law review: No
Anything else that might have an impact? I think I'm pretty good in an interview and that helped a whole lot
Screening Interviews: 16
Mass mail Interviews: 4
Callbacks received: 10 (7 from OCI, 3 from mass mail)
Callbacks accepted: 8
Offers w/vault ranges: 1 V30 in NY, 1 V100 in NY, 2 large regional in home secondary...waiting on a V20, a V70, and a non-Vault NYC I did last week but will probably just withdraw from them. So far only 1 rejection.
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? I think only one post-screener.
Thank-you notes sent: 1 email to a guy I really connected with (from V20 I haven't heard from, and he didn't email me back). I also don't know if I'd call it a thank you as much as an "It was nice to meet you, I hope we can keep in touch because you're cool"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:00 pm

School: UCLA/Vandy/UT
Market(s): Texas and Atlanta
Approximate class rank: top 20%
Law review: No
Work experience: SA 1L summer, small firm before LS for approx. 8 months
Anything else that might have an impact? From primary target market.
Screening Interviews: 16
Callbacks received: 4
Callbacks accepted: 4
Offers: None
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? Had one callback invitation that was essentially cancelled because I mentioned I was in another city's airport when they called.
Thank-you notes sent: Emails to attorneys who took me to dinner/lunch, one to an interviewer who happened to be the hiring partner.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:40 pm

School: CCN
Market(s): NY
Approximate class rank: slightly below median
Law review: No, but secondary journal
Work experience: Not really, nothing relevant anyway
Anything else that might have an impact? Told I am a good interviewer
Screening Interviews: 28
Callbacks received: 15
Callbacks accepted: 12
Offers w/vault ranges: 5: 1 Vault 40, 3 Vault 100, 1 market-paying boutique (accepting a Vault 100 and fucking thrilled)
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? 2-3 post OCI, 4 post callback
Thank-you notes sent: Emails. Sent to most people, personalized
Notes: I was shocked at my results. I think that interviewing skills are very underrated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:21 pm

School: Lower T14
Market(s): Chicago, NYC, Midwestern secondary
Approximate class rank: ~Top third
Law review: No, but secondary journal
Anything else that might have an impact? Strong Midwestern ties.
Screening Interviews: 18 through OCI; 5 through job fair; ~10 through mass mailing
Callbacks received: 10
Callbacks accepted: 10, but accepted an offer with top choice firm and withdrew from consideration (post-CB) at 5
Offers w/vault ranges: 1 V50-100; 1 regional biglaw
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? None.
Thank-you notes sent: Generally only sent them to smaller/regional firms, one of which turned into an offer.
Notes: Relying on NYC was a bad call. My resume is based heavily in the Midwest, so the "Why NYC?" question came up with almost every New York firm. Ended up converting only 1 (of 16) NYC screeners into a CB. My batting average in the Midwest was much, much better.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”