Internship interview Question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
smodo

New

Internship interview Question

Post by smodo » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:27 pm

Hi, I have an interview with a partner, who I have connection through my family.

The firm practices on mass torts, med malpractice, products liability.

I never had an interview in the legal field in my life!

I do not know what to expect and was just told to bring a resume.

I know the partner is extremely busy and giving his valuable time for me so I do not want to look unprepared, so please help me!!

First off, I do not attend one of those top tier schools. Matter fact its more like a 3rd tier school. [However, one of the partner is from our school in that law firm and several clerks and attorneys are also]

Second, I am only top 15-20%.

Third, I am PT and have not took LRW II yet. [Just finished first year and summer]

So my questions are,

1) Should I bring more papers (e.g. transcripts, cover letters, writing samples)?

2) I have tried to do some research about the firm and so far only read the stuff on their webpage. Is there a way to research a case done by a particular attorney? [I have checked lexisnexis to search attorneys but it did not lead me to any cases they had done.]

3) Attire: Suit jacket? Yes or No?

4) Any other inputs?

I would appreciate sincere advice!!

Gorki

Silver

Re: Internship interview Question

Post by Gorki » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:45 pm

smodo wrote:
So my questions are,

1) Should I bring more papers (e.g. transcripts, cover letters, writing samples)?

2) I have tried to do some research about the firm and so far only read the stuff on their webpage. Is there a way to research a case done by a particular attorney? [I have checked lexisnexis to search attorneys but it did not lead me to any cases they had done.]

3) Attire: Suit jacket? Yes or No?

4) Any other inputs?

I would appreciate sincere advice!!
Based on this post I would bring a resume, transcript, and cover letter. Only bring a writing sample if they specifically request it. Not to be a dick, but based on your post you need to review the writing sample several times over for grammar, style, and Bluebooking.

You could try http://www.martindale.com to get more information on the firm. If it is a smaller firm, you are going to have to spend time on their website to learn about the firm... Any questions you have should be asked to the partner during your interview. The goal is to make sure the questions you ask them are not so common sense as to make you look like a fool, so really spend time thinking about what you are going to say.

Remember, this interview is a time to build upon what you know about the firm and let the partner know that you have done your homework.

If possible, see your CSO before hand.

Best of luck.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”