Texting during interview Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Texting during interview

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:53 pm

I just had a screener interview with a partner and an associate, and at times, the associate would pull out his phone and start texting during my interview. I have median grades at a lower T1...Does this mean they weren't at all interested in me? I thought the conversation before that was actually going pretty well. Also, the interview was from a 100% preselect.

Anonymous User

Re: Texting during interview

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just had a screener interview with a partner and an associate, and at times, the associate would pull out his phone and start texting during my interview. I have median grades at a lower T1...Does this mean they weren't at all interested in me? I thought the conversation before that was actually going pretty well. Also, the interview was from a 100% preselect.
No, was it a Blackberry? Probably was work. Or maybe the associate was bored because the partner was running the show. It doesn't mean anything. He oculd just be a texter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just had a screener interview with a partner and an associate, and at times, the associate would pull out his phone and start texting during my interview. I have median grades at a lower T1...Does this mean they weren't at all interested in me? I thought the conversation before that was actually going pretty well. Also, the interview was from a 100% preselect.
No, was it a Blackberry? Probably was work. Or maybe the associate was bored because the partner was running the show. It doesn't mean anything. He oculd just be a texter.
It was an iPhone. I actually don't know if he was using it for texting or playing games/checking email/browsing online, but either way, it makes me worry.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:02 pm

probably angry birds. you should call now and withdraw before they can ding you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
It was an iPhone. I actually don't know if he was using it for texting or playing games/checking email/browsing online, but either way, it makes me worry.
Well, did he have a Blackberry too? some firms use iphones now in lieu of Blackberries. Don't worry, some people just like to play with phones. Maybe it was his wife or something. Plus interviewing tons of students must get boring, no matter how interesting the candidates are.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:11 pm

You think their work went on hold because they were doing interviews? 99%+ chance the attorney had time sensitive issues that required attention and couldn't spend the entire day in interviews without responding to some emails.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:19 pm

thesealocust wrote:You think their work went on hold because they were doing interviews? 99%+ chance the attorney had time sensitive issues that required attention and couldn't spend the entire day in interviews without responding to some emails.
I guess I didn't really think of it like that. Makes a lot of sense.

I'm starting to feel less stressed about it now. Thanks guys.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:23 pm

thesealocust wrote:You think their work went on hold because they were doing interviews? 99%+ chance the attorney had time sensitive issues that required attention and couldn't spend the entire day in interviews without responding to some emails.
Yeah, but don't you think they're gonna pick someone they either know they're going to ding or callback to do this during their interview? If I was the interviewer in that situation, that's how I would do it. Could go either way.

Regardless, it's out of your hands. Don't worry about it.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:34 pm

LeDique wrote:
Yeah, but don't you think they're gonna pick someone they either know they're going to ding or callback to do this during their interview?
If you're working an important case or deal, you check email even during the interview. If an important client or partner emails you at 2:15 mid-interview, and there's somebody else in the room doing the talking, you don't wait for the shitty interviewer to respond. You take out your phone and you respond.

I even had interviews with delayed starts because something came up that the attorney discovered after the interview before mine but before mine started.

Welcome to biglaw folks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:43 pm

It could not have been as bad as my V25 interview today. I enter the room, interviewer does not even bother to give me a handshake until like a minute later. I see him staring at the clock above me in the first minute. He would ask me questions, which I would start responding, but then cut me, and tell me something along the lines of "ok, I will just write you down for this, but also open to this." He is looking at the clock as he tells me if I have any more questions. All done in about 14 minutes. Left crushed... and really weirded out.
Lottery system, within their GPA range, provided them with transcript but no GPA on my resume. Cannot tell why it went so bad.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It could not have been as bad as my V25 interview today. I enter the room, interviewer does not even bother to give me a handshake until like a minute later. I see him staring at the clock above me in the first minute. He would ask me questions, which I would start responding, but then cut me, and tell me something along the lines of "ok, I will just write you down for this, but also open to this." He is looking at the clock as he tells me if I have any more questions. All done in about 14 minutes. Left crushed... and really weirded out.
Lottery system, within their GPA range, provided them with transcript but no GPA on my resume. Cannot tell why it went so bad.
Because that weird guy sitting next to you in civ pro in law school becomes an OCI interviewer one day.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:52 pm

He could just be a texter.
Or a jerk.

Bruin57

New

Post by Bruin57 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:57 pm

I had my screener text during my interview and got a callback the next day from that same attorney.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”