How boned am I? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How boned am I?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:02 pm

RodneyBoonfield wrote:LOL at this thread
Fail to see the humor in a real question...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:20 pm

I'm median at a T14 where everyone does a journal, didn't even bother doing the writing comp and still got big law. No one every asked. Journal's are stupid and a waste of time for corporate people.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:43 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
keg411 wrote:I'd bet money OP goes to Cornell based on this info (and the 1st year moot court thing).

OP, what is your schedule like for next year right now? You can always say that you 100% want transactional work and want to focus on courses that will give exposure to that now that you can take them. But make sure you can come up with good reasons for want transactional and good reasons why it would be a good fit. However, I think with top 20-25%-ish grades you aren't going to get dinged just for lack of journal.
Cornell was my thought too, but more than half of our class does 1L Moot Court so not sure why you thought that was a hint.
Any thoughts on this dilemma?
IAFG wrote:You're going to be fine.
ETA: If OP is at Cornell, it'd be sort of impressive to miss all journals with top 20% grades. Like, not even completing writing competition impressive. So best have a good story lined up.
Except not because no one will ever ask OP why (s)he isn't on a journal.

OP, I'm at Cornell, I didn't do the writing competition, was top 20-25%, no other extra curriculars, and no one ever asked. Got my first choice firm. During my summer one senior partner asked me if I was on a journal. I said, "No, not my thing." He said "Yeah, wasn't my thing either. Glad to hear you weren't pressured into following the herd. I'll never understand why law students would voluntarily be on them, it seems awful."

Don't sweat it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
OP, I'm at Cornell, I didn't do the writing competition, was top 20-25%, no other extra curriculars, and no one ever asked. Got my first choice firm. During my summer one senior partner asked me if I was on a journal. I said, "No, not my thing." He said "Yeah, wasn't my thing either. Glad to hear you weren't pressured into following the herd. I'll never understand why law students would voluntarily be on them, it seems awful."

Don't sweat it.
Mind if I ask if you were corporate or litigation? Or if you had a lot of work experience?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Don't sweat it.
Mind if I ask if you were corporate or litigation? Or if you had a lot of work experience?
Litigation, one year of WE between UG and law school (and not impressive work experience, run-of-the-mill stuff). Don't get me wrong, it could impact you. I can only speak for my own experience. But for me, personally, it didn't seem to have any effect whatsoever.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:00 pm

what if you are bottom 1/3 and have no journal at cornell?

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Lower t14 school that has almost everyone on a journal (like Duke, NU, Cornell, etc.), but no journal or work experience...safely top 25%, closer to top 20%....how boned am I? No moot court either, I can maybe get a clinic...

Also does no journal matter more for corporate vs. lit? I've heard anecdotes that journal is more important for lit...
Oh god guys, I got a 170 with a 3.8. I don't think I'm going to get into a good law school, somebody tell me how awesome and smart I am...

TLS doesn't change a whole lot after matriculation.
Anonymous User wrote:what if you are bottom 1/3 and have no journal at cornell?
This is what this thread should be talking about.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:08 pm

lisjjen wrote:
Oh god guys, I got a 170 with a 3.8. I don't think I'm going to get into a good law school, somebody tell me how awesome and smart I am...

TLS doesn't change a whole lot after matriculation.
Anonymous User wrote:what if you are bottom 1/3 and have no journal at cornell?
This is what this thread should be talking about.
Honestly uncalled for. Not having a journal in a school where >80% of your class does isn't exactly a "170 LSAT 3.9 GPA, will I get T14?" type of question.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:56 am

Wait, what? This is a serious question - how boned are you for OCI if you are bottom 1/3 at Cornell and didn't get a journal?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:Wait, what? This is a serious question - how boned are you for OCI if you are bottom 1/3 at Cornell and didn't get a journal?
The responses seem to suggest that no journal won't hurt you much (esp if you are corporate).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”