Too many interviews in one day Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Too many interviews in one day

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:13 pm

14-17 preselect screening interviews for the NY Job Fair from UT. I don't want to cancel any, but that is way too many interviews for one day. Would it be off-putting to email some of them to ask to reschedule for a different day outside the fair (and without CSO's knowledge, of course)?

I really do not want to cancel any, but I do not feel like i can do a good job with that many.

Thanks
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Platinum

Re: Too many interviews in one day

Post by rayiner » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:14-17 preselect screening interviews for the NY Job Fair from UT. I don't want to cancel any, but that is way too many interviews for one day. Would it be off-putting to email some of them to ask to reschedule for a different day outside the fair (and without CSO's knowledge, of course)?

I really do not want to cancel any, but I do not feel like i can do a good job with that many.

Thanks
Quite doable. Think of it as practice for your SA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:18 pm

rayiner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:14-17 preselect screening interviews for the NY Job Fair from UT. I don't want to cancel any, but that is way too many interviews for one day. Would it be off-putting to email some of them to ask to reschedule for a different day outside the fair (and without CSO's knowledge, of course)?

Thanks
Doable to try to move some of them to another day, or doable to do 14-17 interviews that are mostly back-to-back? I think just remembering the details about the firms and the names of the interviewers, etc. would be challenging.

Also, the idea is not to practice. The idea is to be on my best game and get you know...an offer?

I am sure taking the LSAT on no sleep is great practice for being a Big Law associate as well. It's still not recommended.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Thanks
Doable to try to move some of them to another day, or doable to do 14-17 interviews that are mostly back-to-back? I think just remembering the details about the firms and the names of the interviewers, etc. would be challenging.

Also, the idea is not to practice. The idea is to be on my best game and get you know...an offer?
sort your list of firms in order of interest

allocate prep time accordingly

if you fuck up, you'll fuck up with your least desired firms, and you're no worse off than if you'd cancelled those firms

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:27 pm

Just do the interviews or cancel some. The firms are not going to rearrange their schedules for some random 2L who wants a screener at a more convenient time. At this point you are just another generic law student, and they would rather give your spot to someone who will show up and not complain than make special arrangements because you're too busy to interview with them.

Also, the vast majority of screeners are just shooting the shit about shared interests/sports/whatever. You don't need to go in and pepper the third-year associate with probing questions about the firm's latest antitrust defense case.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just do the interviews or cancel some. The firms are not going to rearrange their schedules for some random 2L who wants a screener at a more convenient time. At this point you are just another generic law student, and they would rather give your spot to someone who will show up and not complain than make special arrangements because you're too busy to interview with them.

Also, the vast majority of screeners are just shooting the shit about shared interests/sports/whatever. You don't need to go in and pepper the third-year associate with probing questions about the firm's latest antitrust defense case.
Yeah, figured this, unless they have another day where it would be equally convenient for them. Probably too presumptuous to even ask though.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:44 pm

15 interviews is about 5 hours of time. How is that not doable in a single day? It won't be totally back-to-back, there will be some time in-between.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I am sure taking the LSAT on no sleep is great practice for being a Big Law associate as well. It's still not recommended.
Bros in my HS did 15 interviews a day for the patent fair all the time. It's NBD.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just do the interviews or cancel some. The firms are not going to rearrange their schedules for some random 2L who wants a screener at a more convenient time. At this point you are just another generic law student, and they would rather give your spot to someone who will show up and not complain than make special arrangements because you're too busy to interview with them.

Yeah, figured this, unless they have another day where it would be equally convenient for them. Probably too presumptuous to even ask though.
Interviewing is just not that hard. You might still do well at all your interviews, and if you screw up a couple, at least you had 13-15 other ones. If you ask the firm to interview you on a different day, however, you are definitely going to start off on the wrong foot with them. How else would they interpret such a request except as a signal that they aren't among your top choices?

Also, even if you kill all 15 interviews, how are you going to deal with callbacks? You aren't going to want to take 14-17 callbacks anyways. At most you can probably fit two callbacks into one day. That would mean you would have to spend a week in NYC at least (and its highly unlikely that you would be able to schedule it so they were all in one week so you have to factor in multiple roundtrips from Austin to NYC). If even half of your screeners turn into callbacks, you will be pretty overwhelmed if the thought of 15 screeners is too much for you to deal with.

Either keep all the screeners or cut down your list now, don't ask the firms to switch.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:40 pm

Keep them... It'll be an exhausting day but it's just one day. Maximize your options.

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Doable to try to move some of them to another day, or doable to do 14-17 interviews that are mostly back-to-back? I think just remembering the details about the firms and the names of the interviewers, etc. would be challenging.

Regardless of whether you think it's practice, it will be. Especially if this is your first time doing law firm interviews, you'll inevitably screw a few up early on. But by the time OCI rolls around, you'll be thanking your preferred deity that you have your spiel down pat and have already seen every kind of question they'll throw at you.

You're very lucky that so many firms want to talk with you, so I'd lose the whining attitude and sarcasm if you want callbacks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”