top 10% transfer to t20 - how to bid? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

top 10% transfer to t20 - how to bid?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:23 pm

Hello all,

I checked a few of the stickies and did not see what I am looking for. If you know of a good thread to check out or other source, please let me know.

So, I am a transfer coming from a 55-65 ranked school, going to a top 20, preselect school.

I have a good OL, and 1L firm experience (nothing mind-blowing, but legit experience and some marketable assets). I also have years of other experience.

I want to crack into big law litigation nyc or DC. Ive been told by big firm informational interviewers that I interview very well (knock on wood).

-
Question: How best should I proceed in my bidding at a preselect school? Any general advice? How will firms measure me? will they treat me as top30% at my new school? top 20%? etc etc.

Thanks a lot.

tedalbany

Gold

Re: top 10% transfer to t20 - how to bid?

Post by tedalbany » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:35 pm

t20 isn't helpful ...
There's a world of difference for where you should be bidding from UMN vs. UCLA/Vandy

And they'll treat you as top 10% from your old school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:43 pm

tedalbany wrote:t20 isn't helpful ...
There's a world of difference for where you should be bidding from UMN vs. UCLA/Vandy

OP here --> George Washington

-"And they'll treat you as top 10% from your old school" - Thanks, could you provide an example of this

tedalbany

Gold

Post by tedalbany » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
tedalbany wrote:t20 isn't helpful ...

OP here --> George Washington

-"And they'll treat you as top 10% from your old school" - Thanks, could you provide an example of this
Just the general knowledge here (confirmed by recruiters who post here) that they'll treat you as if you're coming from your old school. So any firms you could get as top 10% at your old school is what you should be looking at now (i.e. don't bid on a bunch of V20s).

In any event, I'd bid very conservatively. I'm not too familiar with GW OCI/Transfer OCI, but I wouldn't even bother bidding on DC. Just bid on primarily NYC V50-100s.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:50 pm

so focus on NYC 50-100
maybe throw some low bids at some reach DC firms?
-
any NYC firms that are more friendly to transfers and firms that favor experienced students?

thanks for ur help

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”