No-offers, deferrals, layoffs, etc. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

No-offers, deferrals, layoffs, etc.

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:28 am

If this doesn't exist (and I don't think it does), I think it would be helpful to try to compile a thread with information about firms that have, in one way or another, screwed associates with undeserved no-offers, unwanted deferrals, first- or second-year layoffs, etc. Obviously a lot of this might not be 100% verifiable, but it's still important for people going through OCI in a few months to have an idea, especially if they have the luxury of choosing between 2+ offers. It sucks to think about, but with the economy as shaky as it currently is, it's important not to let this slip under the radar. I'll start with the one everyone already knows:

2/2009, Latham & Watkins lays off 190 associates:

http://abovethelaw.com/2009/02/nationwi ... 250-staff/

Anonymous User

Re: No-offers, deferrals, layoffs, etc.

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:44 am

Drinker Biddle: layoffs, 68% offer rate, and salary cuts in 2009:

http://abovethelaw.com/2009/10/nationwi ... es-to-cut/

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:45 am

How is this helpful if you are only posting firms that laid people off during the worst part of the recession? :|

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:51 am

InGoodFaith wrote:How is this helpful if you are only posting firms that laid people off during the worst part of the recession? :|
Because some firms didn't lay anyone off during the recession. They cut class sizes drastically, but they were agile enough to weather the recession without screwing over associates. Presumably those are the strongest, most resilient firms, and knowing that about a firm is a pretty valuable piece of information heading into OCI. Of course no firms are laying anyone off right now, but it's nice to know which firms can get through another (possible) downturn without resorting to that, or no-offers, or rescission of offers, or deferrals, etc.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:16 am

Why so many anonymous posts?
Anonymous User wrote:Because some firms didn't lay anyone off during the recession. They cut class sizes drastically, but they were agile enough to weather the recession without screwing over associates. Presumably those are the strongest, most resilient firms, and knowing that about a firm is a pretty valuable piece of information heading into OCI. Of course no firms are laying anyone off right now, but it's nice to know which firms can get through another (possible) downturn without resorting to that, or no-offers, or rescission of offers, or deferrals, etc.
This isn't really true. Tons of firms stealthed people without attracting ATL scrutiny.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:55 am

Past performance is not an indication of future outcomes.

2LsAPlenty

Bronze

Post by 2LsAPlenty » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:03 pm

[/quote]This isn't really true. Tons of firms stealthed people without attracting ATL scrutiny.[/quote]

Absolutely, and some firms folded. Recently heard about a firm in St. Louis though so nothing on ATL. Maybe it was not a 250+ firm, but it was supposably big in the area. Warning signs that I heard were not hiring hardly any summers and attorneys quietly leaving the firm. Went on for a few years and then this year, folded.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:http://www.lawshucks.com
This.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:18 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Past performance is not an indication of future outcomes.
+1. sure latham improved its financial health at the unfortunate expense of some first years. but if they are now on solid ground, the incoming batch might even be in a better position than those at firms that tried to weather the storm.

attractive_NUisance

New

Post by attractive_NUisance » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:30 pm

It is always helpful knowing what firms do stuff like this. It doesn't always happen, but pretty frequently firms that do layoffs, no offers, or lower compensation in any way do so because they are struggling. If they struggle in the past they are absolutely more likely than other firms to struggle in the future.

See Dewey two years before folding

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/05/dewey-le ... rral-year/

Also, Howrey two years before folding

http://abovethelaw.com/2009/06/howrey-f ... s-to-100k/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:37 pm

TTH wrote:
This.
+1, and yes, in hindsight Howrey and Dewey were in trouble, but people also thought the end was near for OMM and Orrick. Both seemed less stable than Dewey.

This whole conversation is a waste of time until you're choosing between offers.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:59 am

IAFG wrote:
TTH wrote:
This.
+1, and yes, in hindsight Howrey and Dewey were in trouble, but people also thought the end was near for OMM and Orrick. Both seemed less stable than Dewey.

This whole conversation is a waste of time until you're choosing between offers.
This. Dewey was actually stealing rainmakers from OMM's NY corporate group, and as of last year Dewey seemed to be doing quite well post-merger while OMM seemed to be on shaky ground. We all know how that turned out.

I wouldn't necessarily look at layoffs as a sign that a firm is unstable. It may mean that, but it can equally mean that the firm is taking corrective measures to avoid becoming the next collapses. Regardless of which of those it means for the firm's overall health, though, it does mean that a firm that engaged in mass layoff may be seen as more risky for the individual associates. As pertains to Latham, it is worth noting that the firm fired a number of people in 1990 after Drexel Burnham went under because Latham was so heavily involved in high-yield debt. Most thought it wouldn't happen again, particularly when Bob Dell said that layoffs would not be considered a year earlier. (http://abovethelaw.com/2009/02/nationwi ... ng-for-it/) Once again, we all know how that turned out.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:02 am

Also, some firms that did cut people end up in a better position than those that did not after the worst part of the economy.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:22 am

r6_philly wrote:Also, some firms that did cut people end up in a better position than those that did not after the worst part of the economy.
Of course. Firms that do the poorest and have to lay people off during recessions do the best and become very strong financially during recoveries. It's how they structure their business: higher leverage = higher risk = higher reward. It's simple economics any way you look at it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:24 am

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Also, some firms that did cut people end up in a better position than those that did not after the worst part of the economy.
Of course. Firms that do the poorest and have to lay people off during recessions do the best and become very strong financially during recoveries. It's how they structure their business: higher leverage = higher risk = higher reward. It's simple economics any way you look at it.
No sign of recovery anytime soon though.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:27 am

ajaxconstructions wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
Well, I've read conflicting posts on XO from Latham associates saying they are alternatively either "slammed" or that their office is "dead." I don't know which to believe, if any. All I know is that Latham bills essentially the same rates as firms with lower PPP which can only mean that they use leverage. This makes their firm's business model riskier than those of Latham's peer firms.

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:36 am

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
ajaxconstructions wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
Well, I've read conflicting posts on XO from Latham associates saying they are alternatively either "slammed" or that their office is "dead." I don't know which to believe, if any. All I know is that Latham bills essentially the same rates as firms with lower PPP which can only mean that they use leverage. This makes their firm's business model riskier than those of Latham's peer firms.
Why choose such a risky firm? Unlikely that people who get Latham offers don't have other comparable offers.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:10 am

Last edited by 3ThrowAway99 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:25 am

ajaxconstructions wrote:Why choose such a risky firm? Unlikely that people who get Latham offers don't have other comparable offers.
Pretty sure most people who are getting Latham offers and taking them are going to have mostly other risky offers.

Other serial layoff offenders that haven't been mentioned ITT: Cadwalader and White & Case. White & Case also had tons of deferred associates.

Then there are the no-offer offenders. Like Kirkland & Ellis. They seem to have improved, but their summer 2009/summer 2010 numbers were dreadful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:04 am

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
ajaxconstructions wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
I have two very good friends who work at latham who tell me they have a very specific work culture. There are 'chosen' associates who get on the 'partner' track from day one and they overload you with work to see if u can handle it. And then there are others who don't get as much work bc they haven't attained that status. That explains why my two friends who are at the same office, one has worked everyday until 10pm since January and the other has had almost every weekend off. They are both in corporate

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:42 am

keg411 wrote:
ajaxconstructions wrote:Why choose such a risky firm? Unlikely that people who get Latham offers don't have other comparable offers.
Then there are the no-offer offenders. Like Kirkland & Ellis. They seem to have improved, but their summer 2009/summer 2010 numbers were dreadful.
I'm not sure which office this is in reference to, but I summered in 2010 and we had 100% offers. The summers of 2009 had 2 no-offers (out of about 20 summers) and neither was due to the economy.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
keg411 wrote:
I'm not sure which office this is in reference to, but I summered in 2010 and we had 100% offers. The summers of 2009 had 2 no-offers (out of about 20 summers) and neither was due to the economy.
K&E Chicago in summer 2009? LOLno. Have incredibly inside information on that one. (Possible some were cold offers, so they don't show up in NALP). Maybe K&E NYC was different, but everything I've heard from someone extremely reliable was that there were at least 25% no-offers in Chicago that summer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”