Resume spacing error Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Resume spacing error

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:33 pm

Basically forgot to add an extra space before a section on my resume. Should I send an updated version or just let it be

tedalbany

Gold

Re: Resume spacing error

Post by tedalbany » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:39 pm

Call them immediately to notify them of the error

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:48 pm

No, do nothing else to call attention to something that might get overlooked. Here, any solution will only make it worse.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:25 pm

ALWAYS err on the side of disclosure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:30 pm

Similarly, when I uploaded my resume to Symplicity, it made a new line of text begin too early. I had this thing proofread and made dozens of changes. I should have just left well enough alone. How screwed am I?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

letsdoit

Bronze

Post by letsdoit » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:34 pm

everyone here is overreacting. Its probably fine. I have typos in my cover letter (and a major one at that) and in my resume and received screeners and callbacks. just don't draw attention to it and relax.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:45 pm

letsdoit wrote:everyone here is overreacting. Its probably fine. I have typos in my cover letter (and a major one at that) and in my resume and received screeners and callbacks. just don't draw attention to it and relax.
Credited. Relax, fix it for future applications. At my current SA I e-mailed the recruiter and called him by the complete wrong name. Things seemed to work out okay.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:43 pm

What about sending an "update" to the recruiter to every firm at which I am selected for an interview? I do have other things to update; I would not mention the formatting error. In addition, I think there is a greater chance of someone noticing a problem at the CB stage, right?

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:50 pm

What is your update?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Similarly, when I uploaded my resume to Symplicity, it made a new line of text begin too early. I had this thing proofread and made dozens of changes. I should have just left well enough alone. How screwed am I?
Try uploading as a PDF instead of word next time

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:58 pm

shock259 wrote:What is your update?
Finishing an internship + accepted as TA for a professor.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:23 pm

dudders wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Similarly, when I uploaded my resume to Symplicity, it made a new line of text begin too early. I had this thing proofread and made dozens of changes. I should have just left well enough alone. How screwed am I?
Try uploading as a PDF instead of word next time
The problem was converting to pdf with Word made the left margins look jagged even though they weren't. How often do things like this happen? Are screeners used to Symplicity formatting issues?

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:39 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
letsdoit wrote:everyone here is overreacting. Its probably fine. I have typos in my cover letter (and a major one at that) and in my resume and received screeners and callbacks. just don't draw attention to it and relax.
Credited. Relax, fix it for future applications. At my current SA I e-mailed the recruiter and called him by the complete wrong name. Things seemed to work out okay.
Here is the photo of the formatting error with the words blacked out. I think this is far more obvious than a typo that someone might miss when glancing over a resume:

--ImageRemoved-- (LinkRemoved) < margin [the top is ok, it's the second to last line where there clearly should have been more words on that line]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Is this worth an update?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

tedalbany

Gold

Post by tedalbany » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Here is the photo of the formatting error with the words blacked out. I think this is far more obvious than a typo that someone might miss when glancing over a resume:

--ImageRemoved-- (LinkRemoved) < margin

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Is this worth an update?
bronxbum and myself were just trolling you, chill out

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:03 am

tedalbany wrote:Call them immediately to notify them of the error
Agreed. You don't want them to reject your application because you mis-spaced something. Think of the errors that (they think) will be rampant on your memos and briefs.

;)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”