L.A. v. N.Y. for Corporate/M&A Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

L.A. v. N.Y. for Corporate/M&A

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:50 pm

I grew up in L.A. and prefer to return to L.A. when I graduate. I'm most interested in doing Corporate/M&A work. I would consider working in NY, at least for few years, if it would be better for my career in the long-run (exit opportunities, partnership prospects, etc.).

It seems like most of the deals are happening in NY but that L.A. has deal teams that are comprised of less people (1 partner, 1 senior associate and 1 junior associate) which means more early responsibility.

Let's assume that I would have top options in L.A. (Skadden, Latham, GDC, etc.) and pretty good options in N.Y. (perhaps everything but Wachtell/Cravath).

Are there many compelling reasons why I should aim for NY instead of L.A.?

Anonymous User

Re: L.A. v. N.Y. for Corporate/M&A

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:50 pm

If you have pretty good options in NY, you have to consider the fact that they will always have business for M&A activity. NY has the most dealings activity, period. I would have to imagine that NY will give you exposure to more complex and high stakes deals than L.A. would, so getting that experience could be beneficial, especially when trying to do a lateral back to LA.

Then again, you would be giving up the top options in LA to go to NY only to lateral back to LA after a couple of years (if you know for a fact thats what you want to do) and presumably choosing between the same top options you gave up before...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:09 am

I'm working at OMM/PH and the M&A/PE team is slammed and exactly what you are talking about. 1 partner and 1 or 2 associates. It's pretty awesome.

anon34134

New

Post by anon34134 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm working at OMM/PH and the M&A/PE team is slammed and exactly what you are talking about. 1 partner and 1 or 2 associates. It's pretty awesome.
OP here (on a throwaway account). I'd love to hear more about your typical day, what you like most about the work, and any other insight/advice you have. Please PM me if you have the time!

Bumping for any other input.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”