Cornell rising 2L OCI bid list (Median GPA) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cornell rising 2L OCI bid list (Median GPA)

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:43 am

GPA 3.49 (maybe between 40%-50%), Asian. Some WE, but not great. Just came with a rough list, only 12 bids per day.
Would appreciate any suggestions/critics. Thanks~
Day1
1 Morrison Foerster
2 Davis Polk & Wardwell
3 Ropes & Gray LLP
4 White Case
5 Cadwalader
6 O'Melveny & Myers
7 Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton LLP
8 Laham & Watkins (NY)
9 proskauer rose llp (NYC)
10 Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
11 Chadbourne and Parke
12 Stroock & Stroock

Day2
1. Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
2. sidley austin llp
3. clifford chance
4. hogan lovells
5. Dechert LLP
6. Simpson Thacher & Bartlett
7. Paul Hastings
8. Goodwin Procter
9. Cahill Gordon & Reindel
10. Willkie Farr & Gallagher
11. Alston & Bird
12. Allen & Overy

Day3.
1. Kirkland & Ellis LLP
2. Linklaters
3. freshfields bruckhaus deringer
4. Shearman & Sterling
5. Winston & Strawn
6. Kaye Scholer LLP
7. Bryan Cave LLP
8. Sutherland LLP
9. Perkins Coie 
10. Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP (Wilmington, DE)
11.Reed Smith LLP
12. Greenberg Traurig LLP

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Re: Cornell rising 2L OCI bid list (Median GPA)

Post by ajaxconstructions » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:55 am

K&E #1? DPW #2? I don't even know what to say. Don't bid on any V10 that high unless it's Weil.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:03 am

You know the firms listed as "very" grade selective? You're probably wasting bids on them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:07 am

ajaxconstructions wrote:K&E #1? DPW #2? I don't even know what to say. Don't bid on any V10 that high unless it's Weil.
i agree. getting those firms will be extremely tough. what kind of WE do you have? is it relevant to the kind of law you want to practice?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
ajaxconstructions wrote:K&E #1? DPW #2? I don't even know what to say. Don't bid on any V10 that high unless it's Weil.
i agree. getting those firms will be extremely tough. what kind of WE do you have? is it relevant to the kind of law you want to practice?
the "low" you see for the very grade selective firms is an outlier. See how the career office pretty much tells you that you won't get a callback with a gpa below 3.6? It's kinda telling you you're wasting a bid. Don't mean to be a dick, but this is a prestige whore industry, having latin after your degree matters to those firms. I doubt WE will really save you and get you a callback at something like davis polk.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:26 am

Wait... median at Cornell is 3.5?

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:27 am

bk187 wrote:Wait... median at Cornell is 3.5?
No one knows, but anywhere between a 3.45-3.5, realistically speaking.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:26 am

ajaxconstructions wrote:
bk187 wrote:Wait... median at Cornell is 3.5?
No one knows, but anywhere between a 3.45-3.5, realistically speaking.
I still think a bit lower than that, but 3.4-3.5.

And OP is completely wasting bids at Kirkland, Ropes, and probably a whole slough of others. Not only would that be a waste of your bids OP (thereby screwing you out of firms you actually have a chance at landing), but you're screwing up other people's bidding as well in so doing.

My suggestion: no more than 1 firm with an average higher than .1 above your GPA in your top 5 bids.

ETA: This is why day 3 is such a shitshow- everyone is going to try and put Kirkland at 1, and it'll be completely random chance who gets a screener there, Shearman, and Linklaters. I don't even know if it's worth going to day 3 if this is indicative.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:34 am

Also you should be bidding a lot more firms than 12 a day. You want at LEAST 15. Bear in mind a lot of the more selective firms will be easier to get further down the list, whereas the less elective firms will actually be more competitive to get slots.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:39 am

OP here. Thanks for the advice.

Just want to give myself a shot. Maybe I was too optimistic.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:04 pm

Bid on every single firm you would consider working at. It won't give you a huge advantage but the lottery system is weird and sometimes you luck out. I got a screener and callback with a firm I bid 23 last year. Getting that 20 minute slot gives you much more of an advantage than dropping off your resume at a hospitality suite.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bid on every single firm you would consider working at. It won't give you a huge advantage but the lottery system is weird and sometimes you luck out. I got a screener and callback with a firm I bid 23 last year. Getting that 20 minute slot gives you much more of an advantage than dropping off your resume at a hospitality suite.
Was that highly selective, moderately selective, or flexible firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:12 pm

Where does a 3.2 put me in terms of ranking here at Cornell?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Where does a 3.2 put me in terms of ranking here at Cornell?
Probably bottom third.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:37 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Where does a 3.2 put me in terms of ranking here at Cornell?
Probably bottom third.
That low, shit. I've been mass mailing firms and telling them I was somewhere below median but not the bottom third.

attractive_NUisance

New

Post by attractive_NUisance » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:46 pm

You should not be telling firms your perception of your rank in the class. Either your school ranks or it doesn't. I went to a school that similarly does not rank students.

They already know what 1L GPAs mean at Cornell. You are just speculating and it does not make you look good. Either you are correct and get no benefit because you are telling them what they already know. Or you are incorrect and you risk looking like you are either careless or trying to misrepresent a material fact.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:50 pm

attractive_NUisance wrote:You should not be telling firms your perception of your rank in the class. Either your school ranks or it doesn't. I went to a school that similarly does not rank students.

They already know what 1L GPAs mean at Cornell. You are just speculating and it does not make you look good. Either you are correct and get no benefit because you are telling them what they already know. Or you are incorrect and you risk looking like you are either careless or trying to misrepresent a material fact.
I only answered in response to their question. A couple of firms have e-mailed me back asking what my class rank was. I just told them it was somewhere between a 3.35 and a 3.5, a firm then asked what my ranking was based on that and I just told them below median but probably higher than the bottom third. It's not like I put it on my cover letter.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

attractive_NUisance

New

Post by attractive_NUisance » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
attractive_NUisance wrote:You should not be telling firms your perception of your rank in the class. Either your school ranks or it doesn't. I went to a school that similarly does not rank students.

I only answered in response to their question. A couple of firms have e-mailed me back asking what my class rank was. I just told them it was somewhere between a 3.35 and a 3.5, a firm then asked what my ranking was based on that and I just told them below median but probably higher than the bottom third. It's not like I put it on my cover letter.

OK that's fine I guess - its weird they asked you that. No one asked me when I massmailed a few years ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:37 pm

you're already mass mailing? did you guys already find out what journal you'll be on?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:you're already mass mailing? did you guys already find out what journal you'll be on?
No. Journal placement won't come out until mid July. But with a 3.2 GPA it's entirely reasonable to believe he won't get on a journal.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:43 am

Rising Cornell 3L here. I generally think being agressive with bidding can certainly be justified--I was around your GPA and it worked out OK. But I have the following observations about your list:

(1) If you are going to bid on the magic circle firms you should have some sort of international profile: additional languages or int'l WE or whatever. (This doesn't really apply to clifford chance.) Their classes are small and the firms have a profile. It's also my impression that the CB-offer ratio at some firms is lower than average.

(2) If you are going to bid on V10s, you better have a reason to believe you'll outperform your GPA. Whether you have some amazing work experience, a technical degree, are a fantastic interviewer, have a recommender with some cache going to bat for you, it's gonna take something more than being median at Cornell.

(3) You need to include some safeties close to the top of your lists. Barring what I wrote in (2), above, I don't see you realistically getting offers from any of the firms you have rated top 3 on any of your days. That will leave you with about 2-3 interviews per day to get CBs and offers, meaning you are setting yourself up for failure. You need to play the numbers by maximizing your CBs to ensure getting an offer. Trust me, you don't want to end up with everything riding on one CB.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”