Median at Mich--Strategy for SF job? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Median at Mich--Strategy for SF job?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:52 am

I'm slightly above the median at Michigan, and really want to end up in the Bay Area, preferably SF. I'm worried about my chances for landing a big firm job in SF through OCI. That said, which would set me up better to get that sort of job eventually, even a couple years out of school: working in a small, lower-tier firm (or satellite office) in SF/SV for 2L summer (and maybe after school, until I can lateral into a better firm), or doing the same thing but from a bigger, more prestigious firm in LA? Looking at the stats from our career center, LA is less GPA-focused, so I'd have a better shot at OCI for that market.

I don't think I could stand LA for more than a few years, but would be willing to start there it if it could help me land a better gig in SF eventually. Just trying to figure out how to prioritize my bid list...

Anonymous User

Re: Median at Mich--Strategy for SF job?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:57 am

The former, for sure. Bay area is big on ties.

Also, don't be afraid to focus on SF/SV during OCI, and don't limit your efforts to OCI. Mass mail SF/SV firms and some will respond and give you screeners/callbacks, even if they don't trek out to michigan for OCI.

gotmilk?

Bronze

Post by gotmilk? » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:The former, for sure. Bay area is big on ties.

Also, don't be afraid to focus on SF/SV during OCI, and don't limit your efforts to OCI. Mass mail SF/SV firms and some will respond and give you screeners/callbacks, even if they don't trek out to michigan for OCI.
I disagree. It is much easier to lateral to a new location once at a biglaw firm or to transfer offices than it is to lateral up from a small-midsize firm. Mass mail is credited, though.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:33 am

I would start networking immediately. Mass mail only when you have time. There's thousands of other law students mass mailing at this point. Your resume is just another in the pile of 1,000 for one or two positions. Check out California bar association meetings and conferences in SF and get yourself some facetime with actual lawyers that practice there. Invest the money (perhaps your school CSO would even fund you) to fly out there. Collect business cards and make contacts. Even if they don't have jobs available at their firm, they may know someone in the industry that does.

Mass mailing only really works if you have outstanding grades already, but the firm simply didn't OCI at your school. There's exceptions, sure. But mostly, it's a waste of time. Face time is how people remember you.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:00 am

First, it's the first week in June -- no one is mass mailing at this point, and if they are, they're being ignored because recruiting is working on the current summer program right now. In another month, prime mass mailing season starts. However, if you're in the Bay area this summer, you definitely should be networking right now (contacting alumni to see if they'll go to coffee with you and ask for general OCI advice and information about their firm; going to CA Bar stuff, asking your current employer, etc.).

Also, I totally agree that you should also look at LA even if you hate it. Like someone else said, lateraling locations is much easier if you're already in BigLaw. But that doesn't mean you should ignore SF because you're afraid of the GPA requirements -- target both markets for OCI, mass mailing and networking and hopefully you get multiple offers and have the luxury of choosing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:55 pm

OP here--I'm actually in Seattle for the summer, but will be back in Northern California by the end of August. Is calling alums in the Bay Area worth the effort? I'm assuming the lack of facetime would make the payoff less valuable. Also, just in terms of priority, is networking more important for OCI schools or mass mailing schools?

GMVarun

Bronze

Post by GMVarun » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:30 pm

OP: What are your ties to the Bay Area? Are you interested in litigation or corporate?

If you feel more comfortable you can PM me. I am a rising 3L at Michigan from the Bay Area and I interviewed with SF firms so I have a good sense of the market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:20 pm

Thanks, I just PM'ed you. I'm from NorCal and went to undergrad there, and am interested in litigation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”