Do reputable law firms post jobs anonymously on craigslist? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do reputable law firms post jobs anonymously on craigslist?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 06, 2012 6:22 pm

I recently saw a craigslist posting for a 0-3rd yr. litigation associate, paying a near-market salary and seeking someone with clerkship/law review experience. But the posting didn't name the firm or give any contact info. Should I assume this is some kind of scam? Any downside to applying just to see what happens?

de5igual

Silver

Re: Do reputable law firms post jobs anonymously on craigslist?

Post by de5igual » Sun May 06, 2012 6:41 pm

prob not

--LinkRemoved--

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Sun May 06, 2012 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I recently saw a craigslist posting for a 0-3rd yr. litigation associate, paying a near-market salary and seeking someone with clerkship/law review experience. But the posting didn't name the firm or give any contact info. Should I assume this is some kind of scam? Any downside to applying just to see what happens?
Go for it; worst case scenario, they try to sell you on a pyramid scheme and you tell them no.

As for "reputable" does it really matter if you're a fresh grad with no job lined up whether it is a V5, NLJ250, or some random mid law firm?

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sun May 06, 2012 6:52 pm

NoleinNY wrote: Go for it; worst case scenario, they try to sell you on a pyramid scheme and you tell them no.
I could probably take out a credit card in your name using the information on your resume, or maybe hack your bank account depending on what your security questions are . . . that's the worst case scenario.

Make sure you sanitize it. Remove your street address and anything else non-essential.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Sun May 06, 2012 7:02 pm

Cupidity wrote:
NoleinNY wrote: Go for it; worst case scenario, they try to sell you on a pyramid scheme and you tell them no.
I could probably take out a credit card in your name using the information on your resume, or maybe hack your bank account depending on what your security questions are . . . that's the worst case scenario.

Make sure you sanitize it. Remove your street address and anything else non-essential.
I was giving the OP the benefit of the doubt that (s)he wouldn't be stupid enough to include that information in the first place to an anonymous craigslist posting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 06, 2012 10:18 pm

f0bolous wrote:prob not

--LinkRemoved--
Im surprised xo thinks the guy is a dick. The guy is certainly a dick but I thought xo encouraged dick behavior.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2012 9:15 am

I've seen legitimate and even fairly established firms posting jobs on craigslist.
One example is a patent law firm in Massachusetts - not prestigious but the pay is like high five figures. a lot of engineering/science PhDs/mastesrs with tier-2 and tier-3 Jds.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:55 am

I had one friend get hired by DOJ as a paralegal from Craigslist and another friend got an easy term law clerk job with a small firm through there. I also had a friend who got a job as a term law clerk that included helping the solo set up his new trac phone so his wife wouldn't find his calls to his mistress and then being responsible for helping him into his hernia truss when she did find out about the mistress and left him.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon May 07, 2012 10:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:

--LinkRemoved--
Im surprised xo thinks the guy is a dick. The guy is certainly a dick but I thought xo encouraged dick behavior.
Apparently it's cool to torment women, minorities, and poor people; but unemployed lawyers are off limits.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Mon May 07, 2012 2:55 pm

Renzo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

--LinkRemoved--
Apparently it's cool to torment women, minorities, and poor people; but unemployed lawyers are off limits.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Also think OP is flame & the same user who posted the xo thread. You have to admire the original thinking of attempting a simultaneous flame of both xo and TLS, but OP didn't anticipate discovering, and then offending, xo's moral code.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2012 3:18 pm

Renzo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Hits too close to home.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Mon May 07, 2012 8:38 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 09, 2012 2:20 pm

OP here with an update. I e-mailed the craigslist address with a question and got a quick response back from a gmail account. The person claimed to be an intermediary hired by the firm to screen applications. When I googled the name attached to the account, I could find nothing on this person. There appears to be no one living in the US with this name.

After reading the xo thread posted above, I am alarmed that this may be some kind of sick joke and not a scam, as I originally feared. (I don't think the posting is the same as the one on xo, since this city charges $25 to post job ads.) Should I run?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here with an update. I e-mailed the craigslist address with a question and got a quick response back from a gmail account. The person claimed to be an intermediary hired by the firm to screen applications. When I googled the name attached to the account, I could find nothing on this person. There appears to be no one living in the US with this name.

After reading the xo thread posted above, I am alarmed that this may be some kind of sick joke and not a scam, as I originally feared. (I don't think the posting is the same as the one on xo, since this city charges $25 to post job ads.) Should I run?
It's a probably a head hunter. They get paid a fuck ton of money if you get the job. Might be a scam though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”