Corporate to Litigation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Corporate to Litigation

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:10 pm

Going to a firm this 2L summer that does mostly corporate work in their office. I suspect that I'll enjoy it and never want to do litigation/courtroom/Westlaw. But what if, after a few years, I don't want to do corporate work and would rather do litigation? Would a smaller or medium firm be willing to hire me to do litigation, assuming I'd be cool with starting at a first-year associate litigation associate level of work/pay?

keg411

Platinum

Re: Corporate to Litigation

Post by keg411 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Going to a firm this 2L summer that does mostly corporate work in their office. I suspect that I'll enjoy it and never want to do litigation/courtroom/Westlaw. But what if, after a few years, I don't want to do corporate work and would rather do litigation? Would a smaller or medium firm be willing to hire me to do litigation, assuming I'd be cool with starting at a first-year associate litigation associate level of work/pay?
During OCI, I happened to talk to some people that changed. The way to do it is clerk in between (either on the state or federal level) and use the clerkship to switch from corporate to lit.

Bobby Dazzler

New

Re: Corporate to Litigation

Post by Bobby Dazzler » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:37 pm

What about the other way around, lit -> corporate practice? If you really want corporate, but all you can find is lit, what is the best way to make the switch?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”