Mass Torts vs Entertainment law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Rickjames11

New

Mass Torts vs Entertainment law

Post by Rickjames11 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:49 am

First off, I am sending my applications off next cycle. Quite noobish.

However, besides studying for the LSAT and reading John Grisham novels, I dream about my legal future. I am from San Diego, I UG'd at ucsb, 3.45 gpa/165 LSAT. I would ideally like to stay in SoCal and get into "big law."

The two fields I have been considering are; mass torts and entertainment law. Ofcourse, very different. I imagine mass torts being more litigation/trial oriented. Where as entertainment law being more office based, not so much trial experience. Ofcourse, these are massive over-generalizations, I get it. I also understand that the advice I would be likely to get is to talk to lawyers in either of these fields, but the idea of them getting back to me seems unlikely.

So, I was hoping, if anybody out there who has knowledge on either of these two fields might enlighten me. Obviously I am comparing apples and oranges, but any information in regards what a day-to-day would be like. What schools? I know UCLA/USC are probally my best bet for entertainment law. Also I am curious as to which is more lucrative, mass torts or entertainment law? My gut tells me mass torts.

Anyways, any information would be greatly appreciated!

Wholigan

Silver

Re: Mass Torts vs Entertainment law

Post by Wholigan » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:19 am

Rickjames11 wrote:I would ideally like to stay in SoCal and get into "big law."

The two fields I have been considering are; mass torts and entertainment law. Ofcourse, very different. I imagine mass torts being more litigation/trial oriented. Where as entertainment law being more office based, not so much trial experience. Ofcourse, these are massive over-generalizations, I get it. I also understand that the advice I would be likely to get is to talk to lawyers in either of these fields, but the idea of them getting back to me seems unlikely.
Mass torts is probably more "office based" than entertainment law. Those cases never go to trial. At most, you might argue a motion for class certification or on an expert's qualification in court. And you probably won't even argue those motions until you make partner. In addition, it's very unlikely that you will be able to work for a biglaw firm doing entertainment law.

Rickjames11 wrote:Also I am curious as to which is more lucrative, mass torts or entertainment law? My gut tells me mass torts.

Anyways, any information would be greatly appreciated!
If you want to work in biglaw as you said earlier, they are both the same amount of lucrative - whatever the biglaw firm pays for your class year for every practice area. You realize this would be exclusively mass tort defense work in biglaw, right?

Also: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=170600

Grizz

Diamond

Re: Mass Torts vs Entertainment law

Post by Grizz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:57 am

Bro if you get a jerb at a biglaw furm, you'll have precious little to say about what you actually end up doing. When it comes down to it, you will be practicing with the group that is busiest/needs help the most/fast growing/etc.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”