BigLaw SA v. DOJ SLIP Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Should I take the SA gig, or pin my hopes on DOJ?

SA
79%
SLIP
21%

Total votes: 34

Anonymous User

BigLaw SA v. DOJ SLIP

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:26 pm

So, here's a general layout of the situation:

I am lucky enough to have received an offer both from a firm and from DOJ for the SLIP. My long-term goal is to end up in federal government, but my mid-range goal is to be employed at graduation.

The firm is an NLJ250, non-Vault firm in a major market. I think I would be content there, but it's not really my dream job. The culture seemed decent, and it the folks I've talked to there all seem pretty happy on the whole. It seems to provide decent prospects for lateral-ing to government later if the hiring freeze ever lifts.

The position I was offered for SLIP is in a fairly specific area of law that is somewhat of a niche area, and during my interview it was indicated that they were hoping to bring on an honor's attorney in that specific area in a year or so. They seemed to pretty heavily imply that a funnel offer was a possibility. That said, the SLIP to Honors path is much less common than the SA to first-year associate path. I think I would really enjoy working in this component, but I'm concerned about the prospect of having to do this hustle all over again during 3L.

So, here's the poll. I'm definitely open to hearing anyone's thoughts on what kind of decision to make here.

Anonymous User

Re: BigLaw SA v. DOJ SLIP

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, here's a general layout of the situation:

I am lucky enough to have received an offer both from a firm and from DOJ for the SLIP. My long-term goal is to end up in federal government, but my mid-range goal is to be employed at graduation.

The firm is an NLJ250, non-Vault firm in a major market. I think I would be content there, but it's not really my dream job. The culture seemed decent, and it the folks I've talked to there all seem pretty happy on the whole. It seems to provide decent prospects for lateral-ing to government later if the hiring freeze ever lifts.

The position I was offered for SLIP is in a fairly specific area of law that is somewhat of a niche area, and during my interview it was indicated that they were hoping to bring on an honor's attorney in that specific area in a year or so. They seemed to pretty heavily imply that a funnel offer was a possibility. That said, the SLIP to Honors path is much less common than the SA to first-year associate path. I think I would really enjoy working in this component, but I'm concerned about the prospect of having to do this hustle all over again during 3L.

So, here's the poll. I'm definitely open to hearing anyone's thoughts on what kind of decision to make here.
Don't believe them. DOJ will fuck you.

Luboman411

New

Post by Luboman411 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:55 pm

Yeah, I would agree with the above poster. Choose the summer SA. I have a 3L acquaintance who did SLIP and he said that despite his strong record during the summer, he was still competing against 50 to 100 other people (in his estimate) to get the Honors position at the DOJ. This 3L had also turned down an SA position to do SLIP instead. My eyes popped open when I heard that. I was in the middle of OCI--and at the peak of my job-search stress--when he disclosed this. In the back of my head I was thinking, "What would possess this man to go through this competition all over again when he already had an offer?" He seemed passionate about government work, however, so he felt confident he would get the position. Who knows what happened. I haven't kept in contact since. I hope that 3L did get the Honors position, if only for the sake of his mental health.

You do what you will. But the odds of getting an Honors position are against you, even with the SLIP.

Reprisal

Bronze

Post by Reprisal » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:16 pm

My gut says go SA, work for them for a few years after law school, and then lateral into DOJ.

That way DOJ will match your [larger] salary and you'll have enough money to pay down debt/buy a house/get hitched/whatever.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:19 pm

Will they let you split the summer? The best option is to do both. The SLIP work likely won't lead to a job offer, but it will help to have interned there later on if you decide to lateral. Honors is a dead-end right now because the DOJ budget is so tight and there's so many people applying for so few spots.

I split last summer between a V100 firm and DOJ. It ate up my entire summer but it was entirely worth it. The DOJ people I worked for even advised me to go to the firm and try to lateral back in later, instead of trying for Honors.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Will they let you split the summer? The best option is to do both. The SLIP work likely won't lead to a job offer, but it will help to have interned there later on if you decide to lateral. Honors is a dead-end right now because the DOJ budget is so tight and there's so many people applying for so few spots.

I split last summer between a V100 firm and DOJ. It ate up my entire summer but it was entirely worth it. The DOJ people I worked for even advised me to go to the firm and try to lateral back in later, instead of trying for Honors.
OP here. Unfortunately the firm doesn't allow splits, otherwise your solution would be ideal.

The voting seems to favor the SA, and I'm not terribly surprised. Given my deep-seated fear of unemployment, I'm kind of leaning that way too. I am kind of curious to hear from one of the three or so people that voted SLIP, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:51 am

I was in your shoes, chose SLIP, and am still unemployed. I was warned when making my decision (by others who were in the same position years before), but I was stubborn and didn't know about the imminent cuts happening to the Honors Program. You're aware of the Honors Program cuts, so please, PLEASE proceed with caution.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”