How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bronx Bum

Bronze

How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

Post by Bronx Bum » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:57 pm

As far as biglaw, trials, negotiations, or any other aspect of practice? Do others automatically lose respect for a 5'9 guy?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Re: How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:58 pm

Mods still haven't permbanned this clown?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:58 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:As far as biglaw, trials, negotiations, or any other aspect of practice? Do others automatically lose respect for a 5'9 guy?
Seriously? Your height has nothing to do with it. Get some confidence man...

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:59 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Mods still haven't permbanned this clown?
I'm asking a question. If you don't think appearance matters, you're lost.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:01 pm

blowhard wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:As far as biglaw, trials, negotiations, or any other aspect of practice? Do others automatically lose respect for a 5'9 guy?
Nothing? Give me a break.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:05 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:
blowhard wrote:
Nothing? Give me a break.
Why would this matter at all? I know people that are 6'4" and come off as teddy bears and people that are 5'4" and come off as bull dogs. It would in no way affect your practice.

cattleprod

New

Post by cattleprod » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:07 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:How much does being 5'9 or below (male) hurt you in law?
It hurts a lot, except with the guys who are 5'6 or under. You are the lucky one in that crowd.
Bronx Bum wrote:Do others automatically lose respect for a 5'9 guy?
Only if your penis is also quite small. The ladies gossip and it will get around.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:09 pm

Basically, because I am 6'4, I will automatically win all of my trials.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:11 pm

My friend was 5'6'', nail 1L year and transferred up, did OCI with the transfer disadvantage and got offers from Skadden and Kirkland. When I ran into a Skadden recruiter a year later, I mentioned him and they couldn't stop raving on glad they were he picked them and what an amazing person he is. Being tall helps at the margins just like being attractive, a minority, WE or a legacy are all plus factors, but none of them will cover up bad grades, a bad personality or shitty lawyering.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My friend was 5'6'', nail 1L year and transferred up, did OCI with the transfer disadvantage and got offers from Skadden and Kirkland. When I ran into a Skadden recruiter a year later, I mentioned him and they couldn't stop raving on glad they were he picked them and what an amazing person he is. Being tall helps at the margins just like being attractive, a minority, WE or a legacy are all plus factors, but none of them will cover up bad grades, a bad personality or shitty lawyering.
I hope you're trolling...this is up there with the stupidest things I've ever heard. Height isn't a NALP reportable breakdown (and attractiveness is motivated by other factors...).

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:13 pm

A'nold wrote:Basically, because I am 6'4, I will automatically win all of my trials.
? What did I ever say about all talls being good

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:13 pm

Being tall is a liability. You have to hunch over more while sitting at your desk all day.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:15 pm

cattleprod wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:Do others automatically lose respect for a 5'9 guy?
Only if your penis is also quite small. The ladies gossip and it will get around.
A legitimate concern in OP's case.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:17 pm

You're screwed, bro. Have fun with that nurse thing you got going for you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:18 pm

blowhard wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My friend was 5'6'', nail 1L year and transferred up, did OCI with the transfer disadvantage and got offers from Skadden and Kirkland. When I ran into a Skadden recruiter a year later, I mentioned him and they couldn't stop raving on glad they were he picked them and what an amazing person he is. Being tall helps at the margins just like being attractive, a minority, WE or a legacy are all plus factors, but none of them will cover up bad grades, a bad personality or shitty lawyering.
I hope you're trolling...this is up there with the stupidest things I've ever heard. Height isn't a NALP reportable breakdown (and attractiveness is motivated by other factors...).
It isn't a NALP reportable factor, but it is a factor that influences how successful you will be in law, see http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/Careers/02/0 ... index.html Again though, it's at the marginal level. So it won't keep you from getting a firm job or making partner if you are smart and have a personality.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:19 pm

blowhard wrote:
LOL yeah, when attorneys are looking to hire and they have 30 people with the same credentials, they are going to pick the balding 5'6 guy with the neck beard over the 6'1 athletic good looking guy. Or the jury is going to side with the 5'6 guy in a close call.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:20 pm

egirarde wrote:You're screwed, bro. Have fun with that nurse thing you got going for you.
Nurse thing?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:21 pm

David Bernick is a muthafuckig all star and he's pretty damn short.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:22 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:
blowhard wrote:
LOL yeah, when attorneys are looking to hire and they have 30 people with the same credentials, they are going to pick the balding 5'6 guy with the neck beard over the 6'1 athletic good looking guy. Or the jury is going to side with the 5'6 guy in a close call.
They'll side with the 5'6'' guy in a close call if he has the poise of Boies or some other top trial lawyer. Only if he sucks as bad as the tall football player across the aisle would it even come into play.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:23 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:
blowhard wrote:
Have you been to a firm yet? I just finished the CB circuit. Most guys are 5'9" and balding. Basic psychology would tell you that they wouldn't want to hire other guys that are taller or more attractive than them. This isn't Boston Legal.

During my summer in Fed Ct, most of the lawyers were 5'9" and they definitely weren't models. Come to think of it, of the jury trials I watched, the ugly/short/frumpy guy won almost every time.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:33 pm

blowhard wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:
blowhard wrote:
Have you been to a firm yet? I just finished the CB circuit. Most guys are 5'9" and balding. Basic psychology would tell you that they wouldn't want to hire other guys that are taller or more attractive than them. This isn't Boston Legal.

During my summer in Fed Ct, most of the lawyers were 5'9" and they definitely weren't models. Come to think of it, of the jury trials I watched, the ugly/short/frumpy guy won almost every time.
Don't you try to bring in anecdotal evidence when all of the hard core scientific evidence like the CNN thing above support my superiority.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:37 pm

Evan Chesler

Joe Jamail

David Stern

--ImageRemoved--
Miguel Estrada

Neither of these lawyers are taller than 5'9". I'd say things have worked out pretty well for them.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Image
Evan Chesler

Joe Jamail

David Stern

--ImageRemoved--
Miguel Estrada

Neither of these lawyers are taller than 5'9". I'd say things have worked out pretty well for them.
Guess that settles it. You're either going to be reeeeeeeaaaaaaaallllllllyyyyyyyyy good, or you'll probably end up a nurse. And not one of the cool TV nurses either.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Image
Evan Chesler

Joe Jamail

David Stern

--ImageRemoved--
Miguel Estrada

Yeah but you can show exceptions to any general rule. I mean, 98% of all successful lawyers are at least 6'4. Way to show your subpar LSAT skillz.

TheFriendlyBarber

Bronze

Post by TheFriendlyBarber » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:59 pm

The Fonz runs Cravath?!
Last edited by TheFriendlyBarber on Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”