Employed TTT grad, taking Qs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tttterrific

New

Employed TTT grad, taking Qs

Post by tttterrific » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:53 am

Went to a true TTT, not even ranked. I've had internships in two major legal markets, a state clerkship, and a job doing actual legal work (in the field I came to law school to pursue) in a third major legal market.

I was not: valedictorian of my class, related to someone in the legal field, or able to get jobs through family connections of any kind
I was: pretty lucky, and very hard working.

chem

Silver

Re: Employed TTT grad, taking Qs

Post by chem » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:59 am

What was your networking and search strategy? Did you obtain work/internships from OCI or mass mail?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:04 am

chem wrote:What was your networking and search strategy? Did you obtain work/internships from OCI or mass mail?
OCI was non-existant at my school for the large part, and every single opportunity I got came from mass-mailing. My search strategy was, I am not too good for ANYTHING, so I need to apply to EVERYTHING. It helps that I wanted to go into a PI field, though at every organization I have worked, my school has been the least impressive. Most of the time, I was working with just T6 grads.

The most valuable thing for me to do, when trying to move to a new city, was to go to that city, call places where I applied, and tell them that I'll be in the area and would they like to meet and discuss my application.

tttterrific

New

Post by tttterrific » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
chem wrote:What was your networking and search strategy? Did you obtain work/internships from OCI or mass mail?
OCI was non-existant at my school for the large part, and every single opportunity I got came from mass-mailing. My search strategy was, I am not too good for ANYTHING, so I need to apply to EVERYTHING. It helps that I wanted to go into a PI field, though at every organization I have worked, my school has been the least impressive. Most of the time, I was working with just T6 grads.

The most valuable thing for me to do, when trying to move to a new city, was to go to that city, call places where I applied, and tell them that I'll be in the area and would they like to meet and discuss my application.
That shouldn't have been anonymous, sorry.

I will say that I know someone from my school who got a sort of regional biglaw job, and he did so through having amazing grades, being really personable, having someone from his 1L summer job call for him, and mass mailing a smaller market.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”