Employment rules violations Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Employment rules violations

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:00 pm

If you have a hypothetical 1L friend who has submitted resumes to firms and is talking to them about jobs before the any of the deadlines (Dec 1), does the ABA/school/NALP/anyone really have the power to stop him?

I mean if the ABA is slapping schools on the wrist for falsifying LSAT data... and making them... CORRECT THEM... what are they going to do to enforce the 'no contacting employers until this deadline' rule?

Renzo

Gold

Re: Employment rules violations

Post by Renzo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:40 pm

No. Some schools threaten to shut you out of OCI if you don't play by the rules, but I don't actually think they would follow through.

truevines

Bronze

Post by truevines » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you have a hypothetical 1L friend who has submitted resumes to firms and is talking to them about jobs before the any of the deadlines (Dec 1), does the ABA/school/NALP/anyone really have the power to stop him?

I mean if the ABA is slapping schools on the wrist for falsifying LSAT data... and making them... CORRECT THEM... what are they going to do to enforce the 'no contacting employers until this deadline' rule?
D. Summer Employment Provisions for First Year Students

Law schools should not offer career services to first-semester first year law students prior to November 1 except in the case of part-time students who may be given assistance in seeking positions during the school term.
Prospective employers and first year law students should not initiate contact with one another and employers should not interview or make offers to first year students before December 1.
All offers to first year students for summer employment should remain open for at least two weeks after the date made.

I think the 12/1 rule applies to the NALP firms.
If that firm does not bind itself by the NALP rules, your friend is fine.

Most of the biglaws do bind themselves by the NALP rules, though.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:12 pm

NALP is entirely voluntary.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:30 am

So I guess:
1) NALP compliance is voluntary. If the firm/friend decides to violate it, then fine. It is not like NALP will de-list them.
2) School can threaten OCI-lock out. Though if a candidate is really good enough to attract firms' interests as a 1L, I don't see why schools would actually enforce this OCI bar possibly resulting in decreased employment statistics.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:54 am

If the school does an OCI lockout, he could just apply to the firms individually and tell the little tinpot despots in Career Services to fuck off.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:40 am

kalvano wrote:If the school does an OCI lockout, he could just apply to the firms individually and tell the little tinpot despots in Career Services to fuck off.
True. But this would be a terrible idea.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:17 am

the better question is, why? firms aren't hiring pre- 12/1, if you have some connection it can wait, PI doesn't hire until Jan or Feb... your "friend" won't be gaining much by risking OCS blacklisting/bad feelings.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:23 am

Renzo wrote:
kalvano wrote:If the school does an OCI lockout, he could just apply to the firms individually and tell the little tinpot despots in Career Services to fuck off.
How? The firms definitely don't care.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Renzo wrote:
lol

giving up your school's interview week, with a handout of 10-30 interviews, is nbd? just mass mail bro?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:If you have a hypothetical 1L friend who has submitted resumes to firms and is talking to them about jobs before the any of the deadlines (Dec 1), does the ABA/school/NALP/anyone really have the power to stop him?

What's the point? No firm really cares about you until they see your first semester grades. Networking is well and good, but I can't think of many (if any) people I know who got 1L SAs that had crap grades. So, go to those cocktail events or whatever that firms have at school and I suppose you can network if you want, but focus more on studying and getting your grades in order. The SA offers will come if your transcript looks reasonable. And I say this as someone who got a 1L SA two years ago after not applying anywhere until early to mid-January.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Exactly--they don't care. It's no big deal for them to throw away one more mass-mailed resume.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”