More partners than associates? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

More partners than associates?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:31 pm

Is it a good sign when an office has more partners than associates? The firm that I am most highly considering right now has approximately 25% more partners in the office than associates. This office is merely one of dozens, so I don't know how representative that is. However, is it generally a good or bad thing? (I seem to recall that there is a word for this type of situation, but I can't remember what it is. So, if it's already been talked about in another thread, that's why I can't find it).

phillipjg

New

Re: More partners than associates?

Post by phillipjg » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:40 pm

The word is leverage. I don't know anything else. GL searching.

Wholigan

Silver

Re: More partners than associates?

Post by Wholigan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:53 pm

There are a lot of factors to consider before knowing if this is "good" or "bad". Also, it's probably not ever going to be objectively good or bad. Does the firm have a two tier parnter structure with equity and non equity partners? Why are they structured like that? Do they promote more partners from within, or have they had a lot of partner-heavy mergers or defections from other firms? If no two tier structure and no big mergers, you can probably assume your chances at making partner will be at least statistically higher than at more leveraged firms, however you would earn less as a partner.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”