DOJ Honors Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This is the poster above this one, lol. Used to there were clerk positions for 1 or 2 years. They have been moving out the 1-year clerkships and making them all two years with half coming available each year. That is why there were more positions in previous years. If I remember correctly, as of this year they have completely phased out the 1-year positions. That accounts for some of the number change from past years. It would definitely make sense that if there are 9 judges there would be more than one clerk. I work at a court with 3 judges and one AA, and we are currently docketing cases for 2015. If they do cut it down to one AA per court, that would suck really bad. I would almost be worried about IJ retention rates if that happens.
It would completely suck, but again, the issue is money, not functionality. If you look at the other DOJ departments, they are getting only two or three Honors attorneys a piece and I'm sure they could really use the extra people, too. But, my assumption could very well be based on faulty information, and I hope it is. I'm just saying that it's a possibility, but the only way to find out for sure, would be to ask an ARC (and even then, we might not get the info).

If there's anything positive to take from the hiring situation this year is that when budgets do increase and freezes lift, there will be a TON of hiring done at the DOJ. You're right, the cuts in hiring are devastating to these departments, so hopefully there'll be a time when hiring picks back up drastically and we can all benefit from it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote: My three pieces of advice:
1) From talking with other AAs in my hiring class, there were at least three distinct rounds of hiring. Don't lose hope until you actually get that rejection.
2) With #1 in mind, stop checking Avue and this topic. It will only stress you out and you will gather no useful information from doing it (except in this post :D ).
3) If you get an offer, take it. Even if it's for some detained court in bumfuck nowhere, the job is great, and former AAs typically appear to end up in some choice jobs after they've finished their two-year stint.

Good luck!
#1 and #2 are credited. We're all just driving one another nuts right now. However, I'm interested in your #3 point. I have a handful of AA friends in their final year of the clerkship who are struggling to find employment right now due to the government hiring freezes. Are you not seeing the same impact?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: My three pieces of advice:
1) From talking with other AAs in my hiring class, there were at least three distinct rounds of hiring. Don't lose hope until you actually get that rejection.
2) With #1 in mind, stop checking Avue and this topic. It will only stress you out and you will gather no useful information from doing it (except in this post :D ).
3) If you get an offer, take it. Even if it's for some detained court in bumfuck nowhere, the job is great, and former AAs typically appear to end up in some choice jobs after they've finished their two-year stint.

Good luck!
#1 and #2 are credited. We're all just driving one another nuts right now. However, I'm interested in your #3 point. I have a handful of AA friends in their final year of the clerkship who are struggling to find employment right now due to the government hiring freezes. Are you not seeing the same impact?
Same poster. I'll modify that to "choice immigration jobs." ICE isn't under a freeze, and neither is EOIR. If you want to be a TA, BIA staff attorney, OGC, etc., they're still hiring as much as they ever have (which isn't much in the case of some such jobs, but they're not frozen), and there are plenty of immigration/PI firms that would love to have someone who isn't altogether incompetent in immigration law (although most don't really want to actually pay for it).

People who signed up in the hope that this would allow them to get in the federal government door so they could transfer over into some non-immigration job with Interior or BOP or something are probably facing a tougher situation because of the freezes, however. Also, I believe that this is still pretty early. As I understand it, the jobs that hire AAs (at least as has been the case for most of my AA friends from the last few cycles) start hiring two or three months out, not 10.5 months out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:27 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:13 pm

Out of desperation, I'm starting to regret not checking the box that I would work anywhere other than my top 5 choices. Anyone know if it's possible to call them up and tell them I'm willing to work anywhere now?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:16 pm

This thread is getting progressively more depressing. I almost hope someone from EOIR sees it and puts us out of our misery soon.

Also, I'm still shocked that there hasn't been one report of an EOIR offer in here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:01 am

Has anyone heard about antitrust? I'd be surprised if their offers haven't gone out since they selected finalists before most of the other components.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard about antitrust? I'd be surprised if their offers haven't gone out since they selected finalists before most of the other components.
I know of one offer

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:16 am

do you know when the antitrust offer went out?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:22 am

At latest last week, possibly earlier

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Last week at latest, possibly earlier
good to know. I thought my interview went terrible, so I was blown away I was a finalist.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:good to know. I thought my interview went terrible, so I was blown away I was a finalist.
Well, it ain't over 'til it's over -- good luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:53 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:31 pm

Out of curiosity: are any non-immigration offers going to people who didn't clerk, or is a clerkship becoming a prerequisite?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Out of curiosity: are any non-immigration offers going to people who didn't clerk, or is a clerkship becoming a prerequisite?
I'm wondering that, too, and sort of kicking myself for not applying to clerkships now. I know it didn't used to be a prereq, but with the cuts this year, I bet a lot of offers are going to clerks.

Edit: I didn't realize you were talking about non-immigration offers. I think it was already a prereq for most divisions and definitely one now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Edit: I didn't realize you were talking about non-immigration offers. I think it was already a prereq for most divisions and definitely one now.

I only excluded immigration because I don't know anything about the immigration components (other than EOIR posts I see on here)

anonymous2705

New

Post by anonymous2705 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:44 pm

Any news out there, EOIR folks? I find it hard to believe that with at least nine finalists on this blog, all who seem fairly well connected, no one has at least heard of offers going out. I'm fairly well connected to my local court and know that they haven't received any word about offers being made either.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:14 pm

Absolutely nothing here for another well connected finalist.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:22 pm

anonymous2705 wrote:Any news out there, EOIR folks? I find it hard to believe that with at least nine finalists on this blog, all who seem fairly well connected, no one has at least heard of offers going out. I'm fairly well connected to my local court and know that they haven't received any word about offers being made either.
PM'd you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:08 pm

Does the PM mean that you heard something? [quote][/quote]

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does the PM mean that you heard something?
Lol...no, sorry..it means I was just commiserating with someone who I was actually able to PM, since they have a username

I, and everyone else should, promise that I will post here if I do hear something.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:29 pm

I hate this threat :|

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:38 am

To the EOIR AA (and to others who may offer some advice),

What are the jobs prospects for people coming out of the EOIR clerkships who may be interested in non-Immigration legal work?

Does anyone know anybody who had made the successfull transition from EOIR to non-Immigration work? If so, what was the transition like?

Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To the EOIR AA (and to others who may offer some advice),

What are the jobs prospects for people coming out of the EOIR clerkships who may be interested in non-Immigration legal work?

Does anyone know anybody who had made the successfull transition from EOIR to non-Immigration work? If so, what was the transition like?

Thoughts?
Does that mean you have an offer, lol?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:26 pm

Any EOIR people still alive out there? (Sorry for bumping this without an update)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”