What Qs can I ask during coffee interview? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NoTar

New

What Qs can I ask during coffee interview?

Post by NoTar » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:19 pm

I have an interview coming up over coffee and was wondering about the logistics of it. Should I come early and order the coffee and then wait for the interviewers or should I wait for them and then order with them? Can I ask them how many people are you interviewing for the position and How many offers are you plan on making? What about salary for small firm? Should I treat this like a formal interview or more conversational tone?

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Re: What Qs can I ask during coffee interview?

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:23 pm

The best interviews are always in a conversational tone (you don't want to sound like a robot). Personally, I would get there beforehand and grab a table, but an argument can be made for the opposite too. I will defer to others on the specific questions.

Anonymous User

Re: What Qs can I ask during coffee interview?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:32 pm

NoTar wrote:I have an interview coming up over coffee and was wondering about the logistics of it.

Should I come early and order the coffee and then wait for the interviewers or should I wait for them and then order with them?
Order with them. Ordering before is really awkward. How do you know what kind of coffee they want? Maybe they intended to buy your coffee? Maybe they think it's rude that you didn't wait? If you drink too much coffee, can you handle yourself?
NoTar wrote: Can I ask them how many people are you interviewing for the position and How many offers are you plan on making?
You can ask how many people they are seeking to hire, couched as an interest in how the office is growing and what their needs are. It is none of your business and completely inappropriate to ask how many people they are interviewing.
NoTar wrote: What about salary for small firm?
This is an absolute no-no for any interview prior to an offer. Pretty much the worst thing you can do is ask about salary if they have not already been up front about it---you just do not ask about compensation. I wouldn't put it past TLS to disagree with this, but am willing to bet 99/100 people will agree. If they ask you about your expectations, you need to be very careful. Try not to discuss compensation at all until you have an offer.

NoTar wrote: Should I treat this like a formal interview or more conversational tone?
Both. You need to maintain professionalism but don't come off stiff. Smile, keep it conversational, but make sure you present yourself professionally. Follow your interviewer's lead.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”