Going to law school to practice Personal Injury--worth it? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ComatoseClown

Bronze

Going to law school to practice Personal Injury--worth it?

Post by ComatoseClown » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:41 pm

Given these troubled economic times as well as the alleged "glut of lawyers", how is the area of Personal Injury doing? Are there already enough of these lawyers? This legal area is what I'm interested in...I don't at all enjoy the corporate stuff like tax/bankruptcy/mergers & acquisitions. With this, would it be unwise to go to law school for this purpose? Would appreciate anything else you have to say regarding Personal Injury and its temporal stability/predicted need.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Re: Going to law school to practice Personal Injury--worth it?

Post by Aqualibrium » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:50 pm

the "glut of lawyers" is not "alleged," it's a fact. As for your question, do what you want, but you better go to a school that has ridiculously low tuition or that gives you a large scholarship. Personal Injury attorneys make money via volume, reputation and experience. You'll have a hell of a time taking business away from the established guys out there, so the only way to really prosper as a new grad in that field is to a) get on with one of the established guys and work like a slave until you build up the reputation and connections to do your own thing or get a decent percentage from the established guy OR b) have connections with an established guy (dad, uncle, mentor type situation).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:55 pm

the "alleged" glut of lawyers????

i wish that students loans were dischargeable in bankruptcy, and that the government gave individualized interest rates to borrowers that reflected gpa, lsat score, law school quality, and other stuff. that way, people like the op would have to pay 342322452365236% on an annualized basis, or otherwise be denied for loans outright. we'd all be spared from threads like this because law school wouldnt even be a viable option for 99% of the people that start them. just keepin' it real yo.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:18 pm

Do a forum search for areyouinsane. Read all his posts. Then decide if PI law is for you.

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:34 am

timbs4339 wrote:Do a forum search for areyouinsane. Read all his posts. Then decide if PI law is for you.
I thought areyouinsane did temp doc review.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fanmingrui

Bronze

Post by fanmingrui » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:46 am

Gecko of Doom wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:Do a forum search for areyouinsane. Read all his posts. Then decide if PI law is for you.
That was after he washed out of PI.

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:35 am

fanmingrui wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:
Ah, my bad.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:46 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:
fanmingrui wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:
Ah, my bad.
And there is all you need to know.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:the "alleged" glut of lawyers????

i wish that students loans were dischargeable in bankruptcy, and that the government gave individualized interest rates to borrowers that reflected gpa, lsat score, law school quality, and other stuff. that way, people like the op would have to pay 342322452365236% on an annualized basis, or otherwise be denied for loans outright. we'd all be spared from threads like this because law school wouldnt even be a viable option for 99% of the people that start them. just keepin' it real yo.
sweet use of the anonymous function bro

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”