Question re: Mass Mailing Cover Letters Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DwightSchruteFarms

Bronze

Question re: Mass Mailing Cover Letters

Post by DwightSchruteFarms » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:45 pm

When sending out Cover Letters for Mass Mailing, does it matter that each Cover Letter is not specific to the firm (only the address and the person that the letter is addressed to is different) in the hopes of getting more Cover Letters out?

I.e. Instead of saying:

"Thus, I believe I would be a wonderful addition to Firm XYZ"
I would say "Thus, I believe I would be a wonderful addition to your firm."

Thank you!

dood

Gold

Re: Question re: Mass Mailing Cover Letters

Post by dood » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:11 pm

mail merge

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:38 pm

dood wrote:mail merge
This.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:41 pm

In the majority of my mass mails, I include one very specifically tailored paragraph talking about my particular interest in that firm (not necessarily things that would ONLY apply to that firm, but enough to show that I did my research). I also sent out a bunch of mass mails without the tailored paragraph when I just needed to get the app out quickly. Every positive response I have heard is from a firm to whom I sent the tailored letter. Take that for what its worth. Though, at this point, time is of the essence.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In the majority of my mass mails, I include one very specifically tailored paragraph talking about my particular interest in that firm (not necessarily things that would ONLY apply to that firm, but enough to show that I did my research). I also sent out a bunch of mass mails without the tailored paragraph when I just needed to get the app out quickly. Every positive response I have heard is from a firm to whom I sent the tailored letter. Take that for what its worth. Though, at this point, time is of the essence.
Yeah, this really isn't too difficult. I mostly relied on Chambers Associate to give me a talking point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:45 pm

blowhard wrote:
This.
what does "mail merge" mean?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:47 pm

goodolgil wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In the majority of my mass mails, I include one very specifically tailored paragraph talking about my particular interest in that firm (not necessarily things that would ONLY apply to that firm, but enough to show that I did my research). I also sent out a bunch of mass mails without the tailored paragraph when I just needed to get the app out quickly. Every positive response I have heard is from a firm to whom I sent the tailored letter. Take that for what its worth. Though, at this point, time is of the essence.
Yeah, this really isn't too difficult. I mostly relied on Chambers Associate to give me a talking point.
Yeah, chambers associate was incredibly helpful for just finding a quick distinguishing factor, as were the individual firms' Vault profile since you get a quick breakdown of pros/cons, plus some quotes and feedback from the attorneys.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
blowhard wrote:
This.
what does "mail merge" mean?
write 1 letter and MS word fills in the blanks with firm names, addresses, etc. google it for instructions and more details. pretty useful / easy to do.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”