talking about family background during interview Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jlxbos

New

talking about family background during interview

Post by jlxbos » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:09 am

inappropriate?

i know some people find it uncomfortable to be asked about it, but i think my family history and my socioeconomic background explain a lot about my character and life path thus far, and the topic could easily weave into my answers to achievements/strengths/weaknesses-type questions. i know i can be tactful about it and i don't have a "woe is me" attitude, but just wondering if it's still a general interview no-no...thoughts?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: talking about family background during interview

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:27 am

jlxbos wrote:inappropriate?

i know some people find it uncomfortable to be asked about it, but i think my family history and my socioeconomic background explain a lot about my character and life path thus far, and the topic could easily weave into my answers to achievements/strengths/weaknesses-type questions. i know i can be tactful about it and i don't have a "woe is me" attitude, but just wondering if it's still a general interview no-no...thoughts?
I talked about it when it was the appropriate answer to a question I was asked. And some interviewers do ask questions where that might be part of your answer. As long as it actually helps you answer their question, I think it's fine.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”