Callback Question - Presumptuous or Helpful? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Callback Question - Presumptuous or Helpful?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:07 pm

I interviewed with a firm in one of my semi-home markets that's about 2 hours away from where I'm currently working, and I plan to drive to that city for an interview with another firm the Friday before I drive halfway across the country to return to school. I'm emailing one of my interviewers with an unrelated question, and I don't think he mentioned their timeline in the interview. Is it presumptuous/inappropriate to tell the interviewer that I'm going to be in the city on that day? It just seems that it would make a lot more sense to do it then, but I dunno if I'll get a callback or not in the first place. Thoughts/experiences/unsubtle mockery, 3Ls?

Anonymous User

Re: Callback Question - Presumptuous or Helpful?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with a firm in one of my semi-home markets that's about 2 hours away from where I'm currently working, and I plan to drive to that city for an interview with another firm the Friday before I drive halfway across the country to return to school. I'm emailing one of my interviewers with an unrelated question, and I don't think he mentioned their timeline in the interview. Is it presumptuous/inappropriate to tell the interviewer that I'm going to be in the city on that day? It just seems that it would make a lot more sense to do it then, but I dunno if I'll get a callback or not in the first place. Thoughts/experiences/unsubtle mockery, 3Ls?
Impatience bump. Probably going to say damn the torpedoes soon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with a firm in one of my semi-home markets that's about 2 hours away from where I'm currently working, and I plan to drive to that city for an interview with another firm the Friday before I drive halfway across the country to return to school. I'm emailing one of my interviewers with an unrelated question, and I don't think he mentioned their timeline in the interview. Is it presumptuous/inappropriate to tell the interviewer that I'm going to be in the city on that day? It just seems that it would make a lot more sense to do it then, but I dunno if I'll get a callback or not in the first place. Thoughts/experiences/unsubtle mockery, 3Ls?
Impatience bump. Probably going to say damn the torpedoes soon.
Never mind, I don't like the feel of it. Abandoning email to the graveyard of the Drafts folder, manning life boats.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:55 am

Still trying to figure out whether this is worth doing. Bump for morning crowd.

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:06 am

You might mention to the interviewer that you're going to be in the city for another interview on that day and would he be available for coffee or something. You want to get across that your in town but not expressly looking for an interview. That said, I'd also mention that this is your trip before you return to school on the other side of the country. This should let him know that you'll be in town and that it's the most convenient time to schedule a callback with you without saying "Hey, I'm gonna be in town and I think you're going to give me a callback so we should do it then."

Note, I don't have any personal experience with this but you seemed desperate for some sort of an answer so that's my answer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:13 am

Aston2412 wrote:You might mention to the interviewer that you're going to be in the city for another interview on that day and would he be available for coffee or something. You want to get across that your in town but not expressly looking for an interview. That said, I'd also mention that this is your trip before you return to school on the other side of the country. This should let him know that you'll be in town and that it's the most convenient time to schedule a callback with you without saying "Hey, I'm gonna be in town and I think you're going to give me a callback so we should do it then."

Note, I don't have any personal experience with this but you seemed desperate for some sort of an answer so that's my answer.
Thanks. Mostly just don't want to send it too long after the screener.

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:48 am

There is no problem with contacting the person and letting them know you will be in town. Send an email stating that you aren't sure where they are in their process, but you wanted to let them know that you will be in town on such-and-such date and are still very interested in their firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”