Writing Samples Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Writing Samples

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:42 pm

A recruiter just asked me for a writing sample. While I'll have something useable by OCI, right now I don't have anything I can use from my summer job. The recruiter didn't specify length, but I'd imagine sending them my entire brief assignment from LRW (20pgs, double spaced) would be over the top? Should I just send the analysis section or something?

Anonymous User

Re: Writing Samples

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A recruiter just asked me for a writing sample. While I'll have something useable by OCI, right now I don't have anything I can use from my summer job. The recruiter didn't specify length, but I'd imagine sending them my entire brief assignment from LRW (20pgs, double spaced) would be over the top? Should I just send the analysis section or something?
I only sent 5 pages. Almost all want below 10.

ObLaDiObLaDa

New

Post by ObLaDiObLaDa » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:44 pm

There are different schools of opinion on the length, but when I had to use my brief as my writing sample, I just used the first 5 to 10 pages. I think I usually used 5 pages, unless they specified more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A recruiter just asked me for a writing sample. While I'll have something useable by OCI, right now I don't have anything I can use from my summer job. The recruiter didn't specify length, but I'd imagine sending them my entire brief assignment from LRW (20pgs, double spaced) would be over the top? Should I just send the analysis section or something?
Yes, thats a good idea. They aren't reading for content or context. They just want to see your style, citations, structure, grammar, etc. It is ok if they don't have the table of contents or procedural history. I took my 8 page analysis section and made it my writing sample. And guess what? The one firm so far that requested a writing sample is the one firm that has granted me an interview so far :)

warumnicht

New

Post by warumnicht » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:51 pm

Depending on how long it is, send the analysis or even a part of the analysis. Be sure to include a cover sheet explaining the nature of the assignment and how this section fits into the whole thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:57 pm

warumnicht wrote:Depending on how long it is, send the analysis or even a part of the analysis. Be sure to include a cover sheet explaining the nature of the assignment and how this section fits into the whole thing.
I did this but I added a paragraph or two at the top in []'s explaining the assignment and what portion of the brief they were looking at instead of a cover sheet. Make sure it's a logical breaking point and edit the analysis so it makes sense without knowing all of the facts before hand.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:18 am

if one would like to preface a 5-7 page writing sample with a cover letter explaining the paper, should one make it in the same basic cover letter format that we use to mass mail firms?

If so, should each cover letter be specific to each firm? i.e. am I going to need 15-25 of these personalized with each interviewer's name and address at the top, on the off chance that they ask for it, in order to avoid the dreaded "To whom it may concern"?

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:57 pm

Vronsky wrote:if one would like to preface a 5-7 page writing sample with a cover letter explaining the paper, should one make it in the same basic cover letter format that we use to mass mail firms?

If so, should each cover letter be specific to each firm? i.e. am I going to need 15-25 of these personalized with each interviewer's name and address at the top, on the off chance that they ask for it, in order to avoid the dreaded "To whom it may concern"?
Cover sheet, more than cover letter IMO. I just have a sheet that says "Emma - Writing Sample" + a basic paragraph explaining what the sample is and where it comes from.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”