DLA Piper for way below median, DCNG? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DLA Piper for way below median, DCNG?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:05 pm

DCNG, just below a 3.0, is DLA worth a bid? They seem to get ripped on a bit here at TLS seemingly due to a lack of prestige in working there and I was wondering if my GPA still eliminates me from contention. Thanks. Also, with that GPA, what are some of the least selective firms that might offer a callback or at least have SOME shot however small at getting something from OCI/massmailing/targeted mailings?

I've been doing research on least selective firms with larger summer classes, but I know bidding on the V20 despite their enormous summer class sizes would be stupid because I've got no shot, but if anyone knows firms that have a decent ratio of lower GPA selectivity/larger summer class size that would be great. Bidding mostly if not all NYC.

The CSO office at my school only gives GPA ranges/info concerning offers, and has not offered any information concerning GPAs for callbacks

Anonymous User

Re: DLA Piper for way below median, DCNG?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:02 pm

Bump.

Rule11

Bronze

Post by Rule11 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:23 pm

Sure, it's "worth a bid," but you need to be assuming that biglaw is not happening, and plan accordingly. If even DLA offered you a job with that GPA, you should run to Vegas with the rest of your loan money.

I'm not saying that to be harsh, as I don't think that your GPA reflects anything about your intelligence or value as a person. It's just that no type of biglaw is going to be interested, so you need to begin serious and diligent implementation of a backup plan. Refocus your attention.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:46 pm

OP here, I have been thinking along the lines that biglaw is out or a very very slim possibility. I guess I have to come to the conclusion that school rank just cannot save a lousy GPA in any way. I'm not saying I was expecting vault or any of that prestige whoring nonsense, because again, there are many many good firms in the NLJ250 that are not in the vault rankings, but I just can't help but hope some big firms with very few Duke students or none might want to take a chance on one, or if a firm has a few or even many, might want to take a chance on their own for that reason as well. Yes, just outed the school since it's an anonymous post haha.

Even if my odds of landing an offer are slim, do callbacks dip as low as my GPA? I saw on another thread that Cravath dipped as low as a sub-3.0 at Northwestern, a peer school, and it gave me some hope (sure the candidate could be ridiculously connected or have a crazy background but that was unclear), that if Cravath did that, maybe some NLJ250 firm would take a chance with a callback or even an offer.

But yes, definitely going to look into backup plans, smaller firms, midlevel firms, government, I'm not sure about public interest only because my internship is a public interest internship and I just have no desire in this area of law and even less so from my experience at my internship (nothing to do with the money, if I had no loans, and each payed about the same, I would still take a job at a law firm until I got sick of the hours/lack of a life lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:49 pm

people with below averages get jobs. Network and think about PI.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KeepitKind

Bronze

Post by KeepitKind » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:59 pm

hey anonymous: PI = public interest? personal injury? private investigator?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:41 pm

KeepitKind wrote:hey anonymous: PI = public interest? personal injury? private investigator?
Public Interest

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:54 pm

If you do get dla piper, enjoy it.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:59 pm

rad law wrote:If you do get DLA Piper, enjoy it.
lol, beat me to it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:14 pm

Bump

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:21 pm

rad law wrote:If you do get DLA Piper, enjoy it.

Is it a miserable firm to work for, or what?

Younger Abstention

Bronze

Post by Younger Abstention » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:38 am

It's perfectly fine. Just don't expect to be wined and dined a lot, or anything.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”