Top 6% at Fordham. Where to bid? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Mattalones

Silver

Re: Top 6% at Fordham. Where to bid?

Post by Mattalones » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:02 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Eco wrote:Seriously anyone telling this guy that he doesn't have a 95% chance of getting a big law job has something wrong with their heads. The 5% being the off-chance that he is a horrible interviewer and they hate his guts when they see him. Top 6% at Fordham get big law, period.
I know plenty of people in the top 5-10% at plenty of schools better than Fordham who almost struck out. OCI gives you all the rope you need in the world to hang yourself, there are no guarantees.
You know too many douche bags, then!

There is an old Italian proverb - "Mostrami chi sono i tuoi amici e io vi mostrerò chi sei" - that means Show me who your friends are and I'll show you who you are.

Riles246

New

Post by Riles246 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:08 pm

Mattalones wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
Eco wrote:Seriously anyone telling this guy that he doesn't have a 95% chance of getting a big law job has something wrong with their heads. The 5% being the off-chance that he is a horrible interviewer and they hate his guts when they see him. Top 6% at Fordham get big law, period.
I know plenty of people in the top 5-10% at plenty of schools better than Fordham who almost struck out. OCI gives you all the rope you need in the world to hang yourself, there are no guarantees.
I also like his usage of "almost"- his friends who were in the top 5-10% "almost" struck out.. meaning they didn't strike out. So, this guy actually agrees with the statement that the OP will land a biglaw gig.

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:34 pm

That's almost rediculous :lol:

DrGuano

Bronze

Post by DrGuano » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:47 pm

Riles246 wrote:
Mattalones wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
I also like his usage of "almost"- his friends who were in the top 5-10% "almost" struck out.. meaning they didn't strike out. So, this guy actually agrees with the statement that the OP will land a biglaw gig.
you think he really knows "plenty of people in the top 5-10%" at "plenty of schools better than Fordham?" I know about 20 people in other law schools, maybe 3 of which are better than Fordham and I don't know where any of them are ranked. Sounds like BS to me,

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:02 pm

TSL probably does know that many people at better schools than Fordham. Obviously, top 6% at Fordham is a great position, but it is not a guarantee.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:38 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:. . . it is not a guarantee.
Such useless language. Getting #1 at Harvard isn't guaranteed either. You could have a heart attack and die during the interview . . . Comon! I think you're missing the point.

If you're top 6% at Fordham, you're likely going to prepare for your interviews. Just try to be personable, put your best foot forward, and someone will take you.

While not "guaranteed," it's still a safe bet and I'd put money on it.

OP: Don't listen to these haters. You rocked it! You have more bids than you need at this point. Bid all of the top firms if you haven't already. You'll outcompete most of NYU's and Columbia's rising 2Ls.

DrGuano

Bronze

Post by DrGuano » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:51 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:TSL probably does know that many people at better schools than Fordham. Obviously, top 6% at Fordham is a great position, but it is not a guarantee.
right. he knows many people in the top 10% at the other top 29 schools in the country. also, outside t14, fordham beats all in nyc, so really we're talking only 14 other schools.

kids talking out of his ass like most people on this site

op - you killed it, you'll be fine.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:55 pm

DrGuano wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:TSL probably does know that many people at better schools than Fordham. Obviously, top 6% at Fordham is a great position, but it is not a guarantee.
right. he knows many people in the top 10% at the other top 29 schools in the country. also, outside t14, fordham beats all in nyc, so really we're talking only 14 other schools.

Well, considering he goes to UVA, he probably knows a lot of people in the top 10% there...

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:54 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
DrGuano wrote:

Well, considering he goes to UVA, he probably knows a lot of people in the top 10% there...
There aren't a lot of people in the top 10% at any law school. Even in a class of 500, that would only be 50 people, which isn't a lot. UVA has about 367 per class according to their website, which states that there are 1,100 law students. If not all are JD students, then there are less. But even if they all are, then UVA's top 10% is only about 36 or 37 people. That isn't very many and, if a lot of them blank, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be in UVA's upper tenth. However, being in that rank at a T10 is by no means a bad place to be. So, I highly doubt that any significant part of the best law students at UVA are coming out jobless.

IN OTHER WORDS: I'm calling crock on this one as well!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:21 pm

37 people is a decent amount. Yeah, most top 10% UVA kids get jobs, and good ones, but some do strike out.

DrGuano

Bronze

Post by DrGuano » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:25 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:37 people is a decent amount. Yeah, most top 10% UVA kids get jobs, and good ones, but some do strike out.
not the point...the kid is offering armchair career counselor advice and his hyperbole only shows he's off-base. it's important to remember to take everything on tls with a grain of salt.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”