Letters/e-mails to non-OCI firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Helmholtz

Gold

Letters/e-mails to non-OCI firms

Post by Helmholtz » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:28 pm

I could swear this topic has been started somewhere else, but anyway.....

I'm in NYC for the summer, and will be heading back out to the Midwest for law school in a couple months, but there are firms in NYC that aren't coming to my school's OCI that I wish I had a shot at. Is it possible to talk the firms into giving a non-OCI interview over the summer while I'm here? These are pretty much all V100 firms, and my school + 1L grades should make me competitive for them. Who would I e-mail at the firm? An alumni who is working at the firm through a lateral hire? A hiring partner? Send an e-mail or a résumé? I feel like this is something I should know by now.

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: Letters/e-mails to non-OCI firms

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:45 pm

Yes it's possible, and yes it's smart. People debate email vs. snail mail, but TCR is always a contact from the firm's hiring office. You can find that info on the NALP directory, and I would start there but then try to confirm on the firm's website itself.

Make sure your cover letter quickly conveys your unique situation: In NYC, want to work for you, headed back to campus, would love to interview while I'm in town, free on x, y, dates, etc.

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:43 pm

I emailed the recruiter directly (listed on nalp), but I think that emailing an alumnus may work better if this person can pull a few strings. I didn't have any luck with biglaw firms in New York, but I landed a couple of interviews before OCI with biglaw/midlaw firms in secondary markets.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:07 am

NALP will get you part of the way there, but you have to understand how limited it is. NALP lists 66 law firms in FL. There are like 20k law firms in FL (of all sizes - solos to Skadden). but there are many, many other decent sized firms that have no NALP presence.

I'm a rising 2L and I'll admit that I have no chance with NALP firms. but I feel like by applying to firms that receive many fewer applications because they are not listed on NALP, I will be able to even the playing field a little bit. Martindale is a great resource for that.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:16 pm

FWIW, this appears to be working. Still have to hear back from a few others, but have some interviews lined up at V25 offices after sending them my resume.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:36 pm

Helmholtz wrote:FWIW, this appears to be working. Still have to hear back from a few others, but have some interviews lined up at V25 offices after sending them my resume.
wow really? congrats that's awesome it was that easy. did you just send to hiring partner or did you contact any alums? I imagine the contacting alums strategy is prolly more useful for non t14 students

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:39 pm

traehekat wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:FWIW, this appears to be working. Still have to hear back from a few others, but have some interviews lined up at V25 offices after sending them my resume.
wow really? congrats that's awesome it was that easy. did you just send to hiring partner or did you contact any alums? I imagine the contacting alums strategy is prolly more useful for non t14 students
Contacted alums at boutiques and the recruiting offices at biglaw firms.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:42 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Man, most of the firms I've been in touch with have politely told me that they aren't interested in hearing from me until mid-July. Fuck.

thebookcollector

Bronze

Post by thebookcollector » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:48 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Man, most of the firms I've been in touch with have politely told me that they aren't interested in hearing from me until mid-July. Fuck.
I'm afraid that by sending before mid-July, I'd be forgotten about by the time things ramp up.

Also, we don't find out about journals until mid-July. Stupid NDLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:48 pm

Yeah, I'm waiting to do this until July 15, hoping that is the day that I sneak onto LR.

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:56 pm

Congrats!

hls_2013

New

Post by hls_2013 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:52 am

Helm did you email a cover letter also, or just an email with your resume attached?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:01 am

hls_2013 wrote:Helm did you email a cover letter also, or just an email with your resume attached?
Always send a cover letter. Rising 2Ls aren't the only people applying to the firm, it'd be obnoxious as hell to expect them to get your resume and piece together what or when you're applying for.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:45 pm

thesealocust wrote:
hls_2013 wrote:Helm did you email a cover letter also, or just an email with your resume attached?
Always send a cover letter. Rising 2Ls aren't the only people applying to the firm, it'd be obnoxious as hell to expect them to get your resume and piece together what or when you're applying for.
credited

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:54 pm

thesealocust wrote:
agreed. although sometimes I do a "cover email" instead of attaching a separate document, not telling someone why you are sending in your resume is just dumb.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”