I love my 1L summer job. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

I love my 1L summer job.

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:10 am

Very small market, but major firm in this market (~20 attorneys).

Third week in, I have already written far more than I did all of 1L year. FoFCoLs, demand letters, numerous discovery related motions, short memos, a really long memo that will almost surely turn into a summary judgment brief in federal court, and a bunch of free lunches.

Much of what I have written has gone out the door with only minor substantive changes/additions. This is scary, but awesome.

After many years of varied WE, this is by far the most challenging and fun job I've had. Gunning hard for the same spot 2L year.

It's not biglaw (there is no such thing in this market), pays not even a fraction of a biglaw SA position, but I am still stoked on the experience. I hope other 1Ls are enjoying their summers, too.

Anonymous User

Re: I love my 1L summer job.

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:45 am

I hate mine. It's essentially as if I don't even exist. In the rare times that I am given something (anything!) to do, it's photocopying or delivering something to somebody (I have no problem paper pushing if it's mixed with some other stuff, but there's nothing else). It's not like this is a sketchy position either. It's a DAs office in a largish city with a bunch of other summer students working. The only good part is I get to go watch trial whenever I want, for however long I want.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:I hate mine. It's essentially as if I don't even exist. In the rare times that I am given something (anything!) to do, it's photocopying or delivering something to somebody (I have no problem paper pushing if it's mixed with some other stuff, but there's nothing else). It's not like this is a sketchy position either. It's a DAs office in a largish city with a bunch of other summer students working. The only good part is I get to go watch trial whenever I want, for however long I want.
That's a luxury. If working in a DA's office is something you want to do in the future, spend as much time as you can watching those trials.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:40 am

I like mine a lot. I'm not getting as much substantive experience as OP, but I've written a lot of memos that have been incorporated into briefs. I'd like to get a crack at drafting some motions and what not this summer, but the firm's big enough that I sort of doubt that will happen.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:59 am

Loving my summer "job" as well. Been able to do some cool stuff so far like sit in on terrorism, mobster, and death penalty trials, jury selections, and motion hearings, as well as the behind-the-scenes action that goes on in a judge's chambers. We have some cool stuff coming up (e.g. an insider tour of the local MDC) that I'm really looking forward to. Should be a good summer. Certainly beats law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Younger Abstention

Bronze

Post by Younger Abstention » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:51 pm

If you want to be a litigator (and even if you end up not wanting to be, you probably do at this point after 1L), it's a fantastic opportunity to watch the trials. You learn so much more from watching a trial than anything else you could be doing at this point.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:13 pm

I'm in a judge's chambers too and I must say it's far exceeded my expectations. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it but it has really been a lot of fun.

I've drafted memos, orders and even opinions (it's so much more fun to write them than to read them). My judge handles dispositive motions too, so I'm seeing the important legal issues on a number of different cases (contracts, all sorts of torts, domestic disputes, etc.).

I also get the benefit of going to court if something interesting catches my notice. All in all, the only thing that could make this internship better would be a pay check.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:20 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Loving my summer "job" as well. Been able to do some cool stuff so far like sit in on terrorism, mobster, and death penalty trials, jury selections, and motion hearings, as well as the behind-the-scenes action that goes on in a judge's chambers. We have some cool stuff coming up (e.g. an insider tour of the local MDC) that I'm really looking forward to. Should be a good summer. Certainly beats law school.
Where are you working?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:24 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Loving my summer "job" as well. Been able to do some cool stuff so far like sit in on terrorism, mobster, and death penalty trials, jury selections, and motion hearings, as well as the behind-the-scenes action that goes on in a judge's chambers. We have some cool stuff coming up (e.g. an insider tour of the local MDC) that I'm really looking forward to. Should be a good summer. Certainly beats law school.
Where are you working?
Federal court in NYC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:27 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:
Where are you working?
Federal court in NYC.
Nice, it sounds awesome.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:42 pm

I love watching trials, it's really valuable. I hate that the attorneys literally have nothing for me to do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:15 pm

State Supreme Court. Been writing certification memos so far which is pretty cool. And the Justice and clerks and the other interns are all really nice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:22 pm

Judicial internship is awesome so far. Wrote (drafted I guess) my own opinion and now im working on this really bizarre motion to dismiss. Perfect way to apply whatbive learned but, more than anything else, get better at writing. Watching the court proceedings has been fascnating as well. Turned down state supreme court for federal district level and its def been a smart choice so far. Im a sucker for excitement and you sure see some crazy stuff here.

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:25 pm

I have mixed feelings about my job. I've written 995 motions, petitions for writ of habeas corpus, custom lease agreements, interviewed criminal clients and witnesses, and 2nd chaired two preliminary hearings. All that stuff was fun and can go on my resume. The problem is that I hardly get any help or guidance and have to figure out how to do all that stuff on my own.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”