Levering Permanent Job Offers Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Jarndyce

Bronze

Levering Permanent Job Offers

Post by Jarndyce » Wed May 04, 2011 2:00 pm

Is there a generally-accepted rule regarding whether it is kosher to leverage permanent job offers against each other? Suppose, hypothetically, that your 1L firm starts out at $120,000 and your 2L firm starts out at $128,000. You have offers from both firms and prefer your 1L firm -- would it be bad form to negotiate with your 1L firm? I know that in other job industries, this would be acceptable; however, with the lockstep nature of law firms combined with the bad economy, I am curious what the standard would be for law firms.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Levering Permanent Job Offers

Post by vanwinkle » Wed May 04, 2011 2:03 pm

The lockstep nature generally leads to a take-it-or-leave-it mentality from what I understand. If one firm is paying more, there's a reason for it. You either take less money to not work there, or you take more money to work there.

McBean

New

Re: Levering Permanent Job Offers

Post by McBean » Wed May 04, 2011 4:19 pm

It can't hurt to try. No one is going to be offended.

It also probably won't work though.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”