Big Law Lawyer Taking Q's Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
biglaw11

New

Big Law Lawyer Taking Q's

Post by biglaw11 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:47 pm

3rd year associate at a V100 firm in a secondary market (won't get anymore specific than that)...Fire Away

Knock

Platinum

Re: Big Law Lawyer Taking Q's

Post by Knock » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:48 pm

biglaw11 wrote:3rd year associate at a V100 firm in a secondary market (won't get anymore specific than that)...Fire Away
Approximate school and class rank? Practice area?

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:48 pm

Hours, QOL, regrets, LS general ranking, your rank within the LS, etc.?

biglaw11

New

Post by biglaw11 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Knock wrote:
biglaw11 wrote:3rd year associate at a V100 firm in a secondary market (won't get anymore specific than that)...Fire Away
T25 school

Graduated Top 15%

For the most part, I've been doing litigation work in employment and labor law, but I've had the opportunity to dabble in other practice areas as well.

biglaw11

New

Post by biglaw11 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:54 pm

Deuce wrote:Hours, QOL, regrets, LS general ranking, your rank within the LS, etc.?
The hours are by no means great, but from what some of my classmates tell me, working at some firms in secondary markets isn't nearly as bad as big firms in NYC or DC. I'd say on average I'm doing 65 hours per week. I never pull "all-nighters" at the office, and while I generally come into the office for Saturday mornings, I can often manage not to come in at all on Sunday.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:58 pm

biglaw11 wrote:
Knock wrote:
T25 school

Graduated Top 15%

For the most part, I've been doing litigation work in employment and labor law, but I've had the opportunity to dabble in other practice areas as well.

Any advice on breaking into the labor and employment law field? Are there any particular credentials people look for. does coming from a labor and employment focused undergrad school help?

I am guessing you are management side since you're in BigLaw. What are you clients like? Big companies, small,both?

Did you plan on doing this type of work? if not, what led you to it?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is what I am thinking of focusing on.

biglaw11

New

Post by biglaw11 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:04 pm

swc65 wrote:
biglaw11 wrote:
Knock wrote:
T25 school

Graduated Top 15%

Any advice on breaking into the labor and employment law field? Are there any particular credentials people look for. does coming from a labor and employment focused undergrad school help?

I am guessing you are management side since you're in BigLaw. What are you clients like? Big companies, small,both?

Did you plan on doing this type of work? if not, what led you to it?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is what I am thinking of focusing on.
As far as advice goes, do well in law school and land a summer associate position at a big firm. Then, try to make friends with partners in that practice area. Outside of that, there aren't really any credentials, and your undergrad school really doesn't matter all that much - at least this has been my experience.

Since we're in a smaller market, we get both big, international corporations and smaller more regional companies. It's nice to get a healthy mix of different kinds of clients to keep the work a bit more interesting...trust me, it gets boring real fast.

I didn't plan on doing this work, but I didn't really focus on any particular practice area in law school. The firm I worked for during my SA had a need in the employment practice area, so that's where I went.

Alyosha

Bronze

Post by Alyosha » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:10 pm

What's the lateral market like? Do a lot of DC/NY folks migrate into your market, and if so what class years are they typically at?

biglaw11

New

Post by biglaw11 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:15 pm

Alyosha wrote:What's the lateral market like? Do a lot of DC/NY folks migrate into your market, and if so what class years are they typically at?
To be honest, there isn't much lateral movement. When there is this kind of movement, they then to be at the 4th or 5th year mark. In these regional markets, you often need ties to the area to secure employment at the big firms (be it right out of law school or a lateral hire) and that certainly holds true for my market. I went to law school out of the region in which I'm working right now, but I grew up here and attended undergrad nearby.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anonymcoffee

Bronze

Post by anonymcoffee » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:39 pm

Any advice for those about to go through OCI this summer? Also, advice for students with median grades

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:54 pm

biglaw11 wrote:
Deuce wrote:Hours, QOL, regrets, LS general ranking, your rank within the LS, etc.?
The hours are by no means great, but from what some of my classmates tell me, working at some firms in secondary markets isn't nearly as bad as big firms in NYC or DC. I'd say on average I'm doing 65 hours per week. I never pull "all-nighters" at the office, and while I generally come into the office for Saturday mornings, I can often manage not to come in at all on Sunday.
Thanks for the reality check. :shock:

biglaw11

New

Post by biglaw11 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:04 pm

anonymcoffee wrote:Any advice for those about to go through OCI this summer? Also, advice for students with median grades
Network your ass off.

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:08 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
biglaw11 wrote:
Thanks for the reality check. :shock:

I hear you. It reads as though it's a treat to NOT work on Sundays! To be fair, after 1L, getting one day off a week DOES sounds like a treat.

Also, thanks for answering questions. It is awesome to have people several years out of law school answering questions rather than the complete conjecture thrown around here by 1, 2, 3 and even 0Ls

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mr. The Plague

New

Post by Mr. The Plague » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:27 pm

I have an offer to work at a local non-profit representing plaintiffs in wage/hour disputes for my 2L fall semester. I've heard defense side employment law firms don't like to hire former plaintiff side lawyers due to conflict of interest. Any idea if taking this position would handicap me for employment defense gigs? Thanks for taking questions.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:30 pm

how important are 2L/3L grades to your firm?

biglaw11

New

Post by biglaw11 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:49 pm

Mr. The Plague wrote:I have an offer to work at a local non-profit representing plaintiffs in wage/hour disputes for my 2L fall semester. I've heard defense side employment law firms don't like to hire former plaintiff side lawyers due to conflict of interest. Any idea if taking this position would handicap me for employment defense gigs? Thanks for taking questions.
I've never known this to be the case. In fact, we have a 1st year associate working with us who did the same sort of work that you're talking about while she was in law school. I think that it would give you something of a leg up since you'd at least be familiar with what goes on in that kind of litigation.

biglaw11

New

Post by biglaw11 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:51 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:how important are 2L/3L grades to your firm?
Not incredibly important, but that being said, you can't let yourself slip from top 10% to bottom 30%. As long as you maintain a half-decent ranking, you're fine.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:47 pm

What are your medium-term to long-term plans, in terms of sticking with the firm, making a lateral move, trying to go in house somewhere, etc.?

Zabini

Bronze

Post by Zabini » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:57 pm

Is your secondary market the one you went to school in? If not, did you have preexisting ties to the market?

Regardless of your answer to the above, how possible/impossible is it to come into a secondary market without ties from a T6 iyo? I'm vaguely interested in working in Seattle or Portland but this site has led me to believe you can't get to secondaries unless you're from there? I'm from CA fwiw.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 01, 2011 4:21 pm

Zabini wrote:Is your secondary market the one you went to school in? If not, did you have preexisting ties to the market?

Regardless of your answer to the above, how possible/impossible is it to come into a secondary market without ties from a T6 iyo? I'm vaguely interested in working in Seattle or Portland but this site has led me to believe you can't get to secondaries unless you're from there? I'm from CA fwiw.
What advice can you give to a very young 1L going into a SA position in a secondary market this summer? One of the partners at the firm has a daughter in college that's my age.

My goal is to secure an offer for a 2L summer, but my head is in the clouds as to what I should do?? (very blue-collar background).

sfxx

New

Post by sfxx » Sun May 01, 2011 8:53 pm

can you describe every hour of your day from the minute you sit down at your office to the minute you leave

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sun May 01, 2011 10:30 pm

What sort of matters do you handle? For associates, do you do a mix of everything within L&E? At what point do you start to specialize within the field?

zomginternets

Silver

Post by zomginternets » Mon May 02, 2011 1:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Zabini wrote:Is your secondary market the one you went to school in? If not, did you have preexisting ties to the market?

What advice can you give to a very young 1L going into a SA position in a secondary market this summer? One of the partners at the firm has a daughter in college that's my age.

My goal is to secure an offer for a 2L summer, but my head is in the clouds as to what I should do?? (very blue-collar background).
1. Don't bang partner's daughter
2. Work hard during your 1L summer so as to get a a return offer for 2L summer
3. ?????
4. Profit

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue May 03, 2011 3:49 pm

zomginternets wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

1. Don't bang partner's daughter unless he's into it
2. Work hard during your 1L summer so as to get a a return offer for 2L summer
3. ?????
4. Profit
Categorical exclusions aren't what we as lawyers should be doing.

formerbiglawpartner

New

Post by formerbiglawpartner » Tue May 03, 2011 4:36 pm

As for advice for summer associate positions, this may not be as big a problem as in the past, but remember that every function is tantamount to a job interview. Not to make you too nervous, but just remember that the "parties" are not really parties. You are being watched and evaluated at all times. I can't tell you how many summer associates have been dinged for being drunk, "too festive," or otherwise displaying behavior unbecoming.... Save your inner wild child for when no partners are around.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”