Crim Def + $ TA summer vs. FT summer classes & Fall DA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which route should I go?

Summer: Unpaid PT Criminal Defense + Paid Honors Instructor. Fall: Full Time classes
100%
Summer: Full Time classes + Paid Honors Instructor Job. Fall: DA's office + PT classes
No votes
Summer: Full time classes and turn down the HI job to focus on grades. Fall: DA's office
No votes

Total votes: 5

Anonymous User

Crim Def + $ TA summer vs. FT summer classes & Fall DA

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:51 pm

I have three options right now. I am a 1L at a TTTT. I eventually want to end up in PI, construction litigation, or products liability (3 interviews, no job offers). If I want to do summer classes, I'd have to pull major strings, because I'd be late on financial aid and I'd be on waiting lists for classes.

Option 1
Summer: Part-time criminal defense internship in a 1 atty office + Paid Honors Instructor job at night.
Fall: Full time classes

Option 2
Summer: Full time classes + Paid Honors Instructor job at night.
Fall: District Attorney's Office internship

Option 3
Summer: Full time classes and turn down the HI job to focus on grades
Fall: DA's office

I need some help weighing my options. I know neither of them are great, but in comparison to the rest of my classmates I feel fortunate.

thescienceguy

New

Re: Crim Def + $ TA summer vs. FT summer classes & Fall DA

Post by thescienceguy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:28 pm

Option 1. Why would you want to take summer classes?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:13 pm

thescienceguy wrote:Option 1. Why would you want to take summer classes?
OP here

It's warm year round, so summer is not special here. Also, taking summer classes would allow me to do a fall internship. Really it depends on which internship option is better.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:48 pm

It is worth pointing out that working at a 1 man shop gives you a LOT of insight into the legal field. If the person is cool at all you will learn a lot.

Honestly I would try to do both the 1 man shop and the DA's office. Take one class in the summer to keep yourself from falling behind.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”