USAO Security Clearance Timeline Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

USAO Security Clearance Timeline

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:36 pm

Hey guys,

So I recently accepted an offer with the USAO that I'm really excited about, but I'm starting to get worried about how long the security clearance process will take. I don't think there are any disqualifying red flags on my application, just lots of things that seem like it could take forever or be difficult to verify -- ie, lots of foreign relatives, recent international travel, many previous internships with supervisors that have since scattered, several addresses, some mental health stuff that should get cleared but needs to be dealt with, etc.

I am just getting to filing the paperwork this week. What is the likelihood that my clearance just won't be processed in time for me to be able to work? Has anyone had horror experiences with this? I am getting extra worried because I have other offers that I need to turn down or withdraw from due to having accepted USAO, but what if this clearance just does not come through and I'm stuck with doing nothing for the summer?

My USAO office has not been very helpful in giving me good estimates in timeline / likelihood of clearance. Not sure how to deal with this situation. Any advice or stories would be helpful. Or for people who have already been cleared, how long did it take?

Renzo

Gold

Re: USAO Security Clearance Timeline

Post by Renzo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:48 pm

It can take for-fucking-ever in cases like yours. Get that thing in STAT and you should be ok, but you want to give them plenty of time to kick it back to you for further clarification/details/etc.

Hell, they sat on mine for like 3 weeks then sent it back because I quit my job before law school July 15, so I listed July as both employed and unemployed. They said "no overlapping dates" and made me fix it, re-certify it, and resubmit it before they'd look at it.

ariannacraig

New

Post by ariannacraig » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:55 am

Hey just looking for some quick info from guys who are in the know..

I'm trying to gather information in reference to possibly going overseas, however, all the firefighting jobs require a security clearance.

I am a veteran, who has tried to obtain a security clearance in the past, however, I was denied and not sure why..

I can only speculate it was my less then favorable credit, or the fact that I didn't fill the packet out correctly(dotted Is and crossed Ts).

Just wondering if anyone can give me some insight as to what hills im going to have to climb to get this done..

thanks in advance..

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:19 am

ariannacraig wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:55 am
Hey just looking for some quick info from guys who are in the know..

I'm trying to gather information in reference to possibly going overseas, however, all the firefighting jobs require a security clearance.

I am a veteran, who has tried to obtain a security clearance in the past, however, I was denied and not sure why..

I can only speculate it was my less then favorable credit, or the fact that I didn't fill the packet out correctly(dotted Is and crossed Ts).

Just wondering if anyone can give me some insight as to what hills im going to have to climb to get this done..

thanks in advance..
Wrong forum. No one here will know anything about clearances for your agency. I recommend r/SecurityClearance on Reddit.

Although I will say that, if you've been denied in the past 7 years, the prognosis isn't good.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”