Job Wise, for this Summer, What's Still Available? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Job Wise, for this Summer, What's Still Available?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:52 pm

First, I realize this is kind of a lazy post, but I would like to get some other folks' perspectives (i.e., not people at my law school and/or career center) since all my career center keeps advising me to do is network, which at this point doesn't solve the summer employment issue. That being said, I'm having trouble figuring out where to go, application-wise, at this point in the process.

So, long story short I'm a 2L still looking for summer work and I'm not sure what exactly I should be looking for at this point in time. My interests are mostly in corporate, real estate (including finance, transactions, and litigation), tax, trusts and estates, and general transactional/business work, but I'm very open minded and at least vaguely interested in a ton of things - water, plaintiff's litigation, energy, civil rights, on and on. Basically, I'm only really not interested in criminal, labor, and employment. Open to clerk/judicial intern type stuff too, but I worked for a judge last summer and don't think doing that twice is going to look very great or be very educational, but I could be wrong. Lastly, I want to end up on the West Coast (have ties)

Here are the stats:
  • 2L @ T14
  • directly from UG, crappy work exp.
  • Econ BA
  • decently above median
So, any thoughts folks?

Anonymous User

Re: Job Wise, for this Summer, What's Still Available?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:10 pm

Try to find out if there are any alums at big corporations in the area you want to work. Have Career Services, or on your own, contact them and see if they could use assistance over the summer and try to get an internship. It probably won't lead to a full-time offer but at least will give you an interesting experience over the summer and something legitimate on your resume.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Re: Job Wise, for this Summer, What's Still Available?

Post by imchuckbass58 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:20 pm

In house is probably your best option, as the previous poster noted. Contact with alums is best, but several large corporations have formal in-house programs that they'll post on their website or through symplicity (or whatever analogous website your career services uses).

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”