In-house, taking Qs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
francisConn

Bronze

Re: In-house, taking Qs

Post by francisConn » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:50 pm

Tag.

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:00 pm

Market in my area for a 4 year associate is around $170k. Most of our in-house guys don't make $100k, and new guys are between $75k and $85k. Mind you, they work 9-5 and have 6 weeks vacation, but they aren't making anywhere near what they used to. Though, aside from facetious remarks, I've never heard any of them complain.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:04 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:Market in my area for a 4 year associate is around $170k. Most of our in-house guys don't make $100k, and new guys are between $75k and $85k. Mind you, they work 9-5 and have 6 weeks vacation, but they aren't making anywhere near what they used to. Though, aside from facetious remarks, I've never heard any of them complain.
That's interesting. What market is that? I'm in NYC (guess there's no harm in saying that), so there are quite a few in-house jobs in finance that actually pay more than senior biglaw associate salary. They're plum jobs, but they're not outliers either. I would say that the average in-house job around here is probably a 33% paycut for an associate (with the scales more evened by the puny biglaw bonuses of the past few years).

edit: One data point from a year or two ago is that (anecdotally) Google pays in-house counsel $145 base to start. A third year in NYC makes 185 + [haha, probably something like 15 or 20 to be generous], so that's a roughly 30% cut.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:14 pm

Ok, I'm done for the night. Hope this was helpful to some.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”