Legal Work Meeting CPA License Req? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 426093
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Legal Work Meeting CPA License Req?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:55 am

To receive a CPA license in California it requires "one year of general accounting experience supervised by a CPA with an active license."

Assuming I can find a J.D./C.P.A. to work under, is there an area of law that goes far enough into the accounting field to constitute "general accounting experience" to satisfy this requirement?

Speculation from those wiser than me are welcome but would love to hear from some CPA's as well :)

User avatar

Posts: 4249
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Legal Work Meeting CPA License Req?

Post by nealric » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:01 am

It may be possible, but I wouldn't want a job that meets the requirement as my first legal job. You want to be learning how to be a lawyer- not an accountant.

User avatar

Posts: 1269
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Legal Work Meeting CPA License Req?

Post by NZA » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:02 am

Not sure if this helps, but tax law is definitely one area that it would help to have a CPA. I know that it works backwards for CPAs: they can study for the tax bar and pass and be able to represent taxpayers in tax court without a JD.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”