1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Re: 1L summer job application apathy/encouragement thread

Post by Coolgrnmen » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:25 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:The CSO said don't reneg on a job. Ugh... feel so guilty. I feel like Karma is gonna bite me in the ass. But... $4k.
$4k? I dunno if that's worth it...I mean...that's like $400 a week?

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:26 pm

geekrocker37 wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:The CSO said don't reneg on a job. Ugh... feel so guilty. I feel like Karma is gonna bite me in the ass. But... $4k.
See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFGZufk4HFs
How do I phrase it? I want to do it as nicely as possible. And say I didn't get public interest funding. Cuse these people were lovely, and I don't want to be barred from government work ever again.

mythosopher

New

Post by mythosopher » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:58 pm

keg411 wrote:
mythosopher wrote:Great news! I got the PI internship I wanted in DC!

Caveat: How the hell am I going to pay for travel and living expenses? Any advice/ideas? All the PI stipend application due dates have passed here...
Extra loans (if you didn't take all of yours out)?
Tax return?
LOL tax return assumes I made income worth taxing last year.

Extra loans? I maxed all my federal loans and cost of education. But the LAST thing I want to do is take out a personal loan. God awful APRs on that. A student loan from a bank could be an option, although not preferred. I've got enough loans as it is...

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:02 pm

mythosopher wrote:
keg411 wrote:

Caveat: How the hell am I going to pay for travel and living expenses? Any advice/ideas? All the PI stipend application due dates have passed here...
Tax return?

Extra loans? I maxed all my federal loans and cost of education. But the LAST thing I want to do is take out a personal loan. God awful APRs on that. A student loan from a bank could be an option, although not preferred. I've got enough loans as it is...
You can usually request a COA increase. Contact your school's financial aid office and ask about it. My school has a simple, one-page form that you fill out with the amount you're requesting and what it's being used for.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:08 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
geekrocker37 wrote:
How do I phrase it? I want to do it as nicely as possible. And say I didn't get public interest funding. Cuse these people were lovely, and I don't want to be barred from government work ever again.
yeah just be like, I think this is an amazing opportunity, but unfortunatly I didn't get the funding, poor student, I haz no monies, blah, blah, thanks one last time, done.

basically, just don't sound like an ass. they will be able to replace you in about 2.5 milliseconds.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:16 pm

Got a call from the AO for Article III judges... had to turn them down because I accepted a position last week. Sad. But the position I do have is still a government job, and there was an article in the NYT that they're super backed up and I know I get my own caseload as a 1L... so it's ok that I won't be working for the SC/International Trade Ct, right?....

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:17 pm

sibley wrote:Got a call from the AO for Article III judges... had to turn them down because I accepted a position last week. Sad. But the position I do have is still a government job, and there was an article in the NYT that they're super backed up and I know I get my own caseload as a 1L... so it's ok that I won't be working for the SC/International Trade Ct, right?....
How's your suit against GULC progressing?

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:35 pm

rad law wrote:
sibley wrote:Got a call from the AO for Article III judges... had to turn them down because I accepted a position last week. Sad. But the position I do have is still a government job, and there was an article in the NYT that they're super backed up and I know I get my own caseload as a 1L... so it's ok that I won't be working for the SC/International Trade Ct, right?....

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:21 pm

mths wrote:
rad law wrote:
it settled.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:28 pm

sibley wrote:
mths wrote:
rad law wrote:
it settled.
Thank god they didn't in the admissions process, amirite?

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:38 pm

bjsesq wrote: Thank god they didn't in the admissions process, amirite?
Pshhhh more like thank God I didn't.
Alternatively: yes.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:44 pm

sibley wrote:
bjsesq wrote: Thank god they didn't in the admissions process, amirite?
Pshhhh more like thank God I didn't.
Alternatively: yes.
Yeah. You deserved much better than GULC. Speaking of which: blanket the entire T14 with lawsuits.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:54 pm

f7u12 wrote: And LSAC.
USNWR anyone?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mythosopher

New

Post by mythosopher » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:35 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
mythosopher wrote:
keg411 wrote:

Tax return?

You can usually request a COA increase. Contact your school's financial aid office and ask about it. My school has a simple, one-page form that you fill out with the amount you're requesting and what it's being used for.
They will only increase COA for child care expenses, commuting, or health care costs. I'll set up a time to see them just in case they're feeling nice about it, because then, even though I'd still have to take out a bank loan, the APR would be 1% lower.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:58 am

snowpeach06 wrote:
geekrocker37 wrote:
Is there a chance of full-time employment at this second job? If not, then I see no real reason to reneg. You don't sound that excited about the job, and you don't want to stay in the area.

4k isn't that much money, you could make that waiting tables or something. Renegging is fine in certain circumstances, but I don't see why you are doing it here.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:25 am

romothesavior wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
geekrocker37 wrote:
Is there a chance of full-time employment at this second job? If not, then I see no real reason to reneg. You don't sound that excited about the job, and you don't want to stay in the area.

4k isn't that much money, you could make that waiting tables or something. Renegging is fine in certain circumstances, but I don't see why you are doing it here.
Really, 4k vs. negative $2-3k? To me that is a big difference. Especially because I'm not taking out loans. My parents are awesome enough to find my education/living expenses. But they only pay for necessities. So, if I ever want to do anything fun, ever, I need to make my own money. And the summer would suck if all my friends are here and I can't go out to a movie, or go out to dinner, take a weekend and visit a friend in another city, ect. My thought process was that since I wasn't super excited about either job, I may as well get paid. I don't think either is going to look better or worse on a resume, so they seemed the same except for money. Anyway, I just called the old job. She just goes "yeah, I get it. If you want to work here over the fall, or next summer just call me and let me know. All you have to do is call." So, I guess that went as well as it could. I mean, tone of voice made her seem a tad annoyed, but, the words were super nice. I have a feeling she doesn't care.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:11 am

snowpeach06 wrote:Really, 4k vs. negative $2-3k? To me that is a big difference. Especially because I'm not taking out loans. My parents are awesome enough to find my education/living expenses. But they only pay for necessities. So, if I ever want to do anything fun, ever, I need to make my own money. And the summer would suck if all my friends are here and I can't go out to a movie, or go out to dinner, take a weekend and visit a friend in another city, ect. My thought process was that since I wasn't super excited about either job, I may as well get paid. I don't think either is going to look better or worse on a resume, so they seemed the same except for money. Anyway, I just called the old job. She just goes "yeah, I get it. If you want to work here over the fall, or next summer just call me and let me know. All you have to do is call." So, I guess that went as well as it could. I mean, tone of voice made her seem a tad annoyed, but, the words were super nice. I have a feeling she doesn't care.
That's good, glad it worked out. I was just saying that you could easily make 4k by getting a second job to avoid loans, that's what many (most) of us are doing.

But it's good that you were able to back out without making them mad. If you can work there during the school year, I'd definitely try to do it. Congrats on getting everything taken care of.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:07 pm

romothesavior wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Really, 4k vs. negative $2-3k? To me that is a big difference. Especially because I'm not taking out loans. My parents are awesome enough to find my education/living expenses. But they only pay for necessities. So, if I ever want to do anything fun, ever, I need to make my own money. And the summer would suck if all my friends are here and I can't go out to a movie, or go out to dinner, take a weekend and visit a friend in another city, ect. My thought process was that since I wasn't super excited about either job, I may as well get paid. I don't think either is going to look better or worse on a resume, so they seemed the same except for money. Anyway, I just called the old job. She just goes "yeah, I get it. If you want to work here over the fall, or next summer just call me and let me know. All you have to do is call." So, I guess that went as well as it could. I mean, tone of voice made her seem a tad annoyed, but, the words were super nice. I have a feeling she doesn't care.
That's good, glad it worked out. I was just saying that you could easily make 4k by getting a second job to avoid loans, that's what many (most) of us are doing.

But it's good that you were able to back out without making them mad. If you can work there during the school year, I'd definitely try to do it. Congrats on getting everything taken care of.
Do you guys have full time summer positions? Mine would've been, so, it didn't seem like there would be much time for a second job. Maybe just weekends. Anyway, thanks.

And as another lol: I was just offered a position with a local trial court that I never heard a peep from once I sent in my resume. But, oddly enough, a few days ago the one other kid at my law school from the same area as me got the job as well. So, I assumed I didn't get it when he told me that. But then I guess the judge knows my uncle, so my uncle was all pissy when he found out I accepted a job yesterday. It would've been awesome to work with a friend, and to spend the summer with my family. But, the kid from law school would've been probably the only person I know in my hometown any more. All my friends from high school are just gone.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:14 pm

sibley wrote:
mths wrote:
rad law wrote:
it settled.
Why did you sue GULC? I tried to research it but the thread was over 300 pages...haha

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue May 10, 2011 3:03 pm

Ban lifted. RA'ing for the most awesome professor this summer, for anyone who cares. Yes, I'm the dude only threw out like 10 apps.

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Tue May 10, 2011 3:36 pm

beach_terror wrote:Ban lifted. RA'ing for the most awesome professor this summer, for anyone who cares. Yes, I'm the dude only threw out like 10 apps.

Congratz!! Why did you get banned?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Tue May 10, 2011 3:37 pm

swc65 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Ban lifted. RA'ing for the most awesome professor this summer, for anyone who cares. Yes, I'm the dude only threw out like 10 apps.

he posted mad dick pix

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Tue May 10, 2011 3:42 pm

swc65 wrote:

banned himself to focus on finals/not be distracted by this place

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue May 10, 2011 4:42 pm

Yet you whined in this thread how you didn't have a job until late :lol: :).
Congrats - sounds like finals went well for you and you got a great summer job.

mythosopher

New

Post by mythosopher » Wed May 11, 2011 5:19 pm

I have a full time unpaid internship in DC... I have $0.
How hard do you think it would be to get a part-time evening/weekend job in DC and not let my internship suffer? :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”