Which job would you take? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which would you do?

Top Lit Firm
67%
Boutique
33%

Total votes: 12

Anonymous User

Which job would you take?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:46 pm

Hi all,

I've been very fortunate this hiring cycle and have managed to secure a few offers to give me some good options.

I have decided to work at two firms this summer (let's assume for the sake of the thread that this won't affect my chances at either firm).

One firm is a top firm. Particularly well-known for litigation.

The other firm is a tiny (think less than 15 attorneys) lit boutique in a secondary market (however, it pays big law market with slightly bigger bonuses).

At this point in time, the boutique is more in line with what I want to do. I could see myself making a long and happy career there. Money also goes a lot further in this market, so I'd be able to get out of debt faster.

However, given its small size and the fact it's a virtual unknown, my exit opportunities are (presumably) severely limited. If my girlfriend ends up in a different city, for example, it'll be hard for me to go elsewhere.

There's also a stability risk with such a small firm. Although there are no signs of trouble with the firm, all it takes is a few defectors or one big oops.

On the flip side, I think I'd be miserable in the big firm and I would be there mostly for the exit opportunities (eventually move into a top boutique). However, the exit opportunities would be plentiful, and I'd have the opportunity to move around a lot more and find my niche than I would at the small firm.

I know I'll have to make the ultimate decision, but I'd like to hear some other perspectives.

Thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment”