Offer as leverage, but not disclosing firm Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Offer as leverage, but not disclosing firm

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:00 pm

Is it ok to tell a firm that you have another offer, but don't feel like disclosing who the offer is from?

MrKappus

Gold

Re: Offer as leverage, but not disclosing firm

Post by MrKappus » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:01 pm

It's perfectly OK w/ them, as long as it's perfectly OK w/ you for it not to affect their decision-making in any substantive way.

Edit: Sorry! Let me amend..."in any substantive[ly positive] way," b/c it'll certainly be a strike against you when they ask and you say something like "I'd prefer not to say."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:50 pm

It just seems like kissing and telling. And if you name the firm are they really going to call to confirm? Couldn't you speak generally about the firm.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:53 pm

I'd think if the place you have an offer's not a peer of the one you're telling, the one you're waiting on won't really care. I could be wrong though. Also, I'm still not sure how you'll handle an inquiry as to which firm w/o sounding like a jerk. "I'd prefer not to say," or "it's a peer firm" just sounds like you're trying to pull a fast one. IMHO.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:58 pm

If you have time pressure, telling them will hurry the decision but won't make it more likely that the answer will be good. If you have plenty of time on the other offer, unless its a peer firm, they could care less. They might not care even if it is a peer firm; it's an employer's market.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:42 pm

I think it helps, they called me back within a day when I told them I had a deadline. They didn't ask me what firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:20 am

I told all the firms I interviewed with that I had an offer. I think only one asked which firm had given me the offer. With one exception, all the firms respected my deadline and gave me (favorable) responses within the time I asked.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:I think it helps, they called me back within a day when I told them I had a deadline. They didn't ask me what firm.
My theory is that you were getting the offer anyways. Like I said, I think telling them will move you to the top of the decision pile, but won't really effect the outcome of that decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”