In Firms with many offices, do Lawyers get to travel a lot? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ComatoseClown

Bronze

In Firms with many offices, do Lawyers get to travel a lot?

Post by ComatoseClown » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:38 pm

I'm an UG still new to the legal profession realm. Browsing many BigLaw firms websites, I've been impressed by a lot of them.

Question: In the distinguished firms (small or large) having multiple offices across the U.S. and even globe, are there many travel opportunities for lawyers? For instance, do lawyers frequently visit other offices for temporary assignments <--are there even such assignments?

I wanted to know how much travel is involved, domestically or internationally.
Last edited by ComatoseClown on Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

War Cardinal

New

Re: In Firms with many offices, do Lawyers get to travel a lot?

Post by War Cardinal » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:40 pm

ComatoseClown wrote:I'm an UG still new to the legal profession realm. Browsing many BigLaw firms websites, I've been impressed by a lot of them.

Question: In the distinguished firms (small or large) having multiple offices across the U.S. and even globe, are there many travel opportunities for lawyers? For instance, do lawyers frequently visit other offices for temporary assignments <--are there even such assignments?

I wanted to know how much travel is involved period -- domestically or internationally.
I love you!
Last edited by War Cardinal on Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:56 pm

The above is unnecessary. I think it is a fair question. I am only a 2L so I don't have much experience to speak of but from talking with several people at a v20 in my hometown they seem to move people around quite a bit. It is all work driven. You could be doing work on a case for a company that is based out of LA, so you fly there to do depositions and the like. Same goes for deals and flying to do closings or important meetings. They also mentioned people moving throughout the offices nation-wide on a more permanent level. I am not sure if it is like this at other firms but they have a very well known "one firm" mentality.

edit: obvious typo is obvious

ComatoseClown

Bronze

Post by ComatoseClown » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:06 pm

Sounds nice, can others address this topic?

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:36 pm

Traveling for work is definitely not all its cracked up to be. After a year it's not that you "get" to travel. It's that you "have" to travel. It really sucks.

I did that from 21-26.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”