How to know which firms to shoot for Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to know which firms to shoot for

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:36 pm

Hello everyone,

First off, I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't seem to find it, my apologies.

I just started my 1L year at MVBP and I've been speaking with some of the people who are doing OCI. The general perception seems to be that grades are very important, that I understand. However, I also notice that there is some variance in terms of people below the median still getting a fair amount of offers. So, though it's early for me, I just had a couple questions:

1) How does one (who does not know much about which law firms are prestigious, tougher to get into, etc.) decide which firms to try and interview with? For example, let's say I have a 3.3 at the end of 1L year, where can someone find information as to which firms would be worth trying to interview with at that GPA, which ones might not be worth it because they're too selective, etc.?

2) In general, what happens to those with GPA's that are lower (say, in the 2.9-3.0 range)? Of course I realize their proportion of offers would be higher, but at that GPA is it absolutely impossible to get an offer? Or more common than some might think (this would be great to hear lol).

Anyway, general info as to these questions would be much appreciated for someone like me 2 weeks into law school, thanks!

longhornnyc

New

Re: How to know which firms to shoot for

Post by longhornnyc » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:39 pm

In on page 1.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:39 pm

Go study.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:40 pm

Go study + STFU

Indubitably

New

Post by Indubitably » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:[W]here can someone find information as to which firms would be worth trying to interview with at that GPA, which ones might not be worth it because they're too selective, etc.?
It would be really nice if this data was available, but it doesn't seem to be. Firms and law schools sure as hell don't release this information, and external compilations (if they even exist) are going to be highly incomplete.
Anonymous User wrote:In general, what happens to those with GPA's that are lower (say, in the 2.9-3.0 range)?
They are generally able to bid on firms in parity with all the other students (putting aside pre-screening, which is not generally done at the top law schools). Thus, they get the same number of initial interviews. If they are really good at interviewing, they may be able to overcome their poor grades. Of course, it is very firm-specific.

Also, and I'm sure I don't have to tell you this, but the economy might be significantly better in a year when you have to go through this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote: 2) In general, what happens to those with GPA's that are lower (say, in the 2.9-3.0 range)? Of course I realize their proportion of offers would be higher, but at that GPA is it absolutely impossible to get an offer? Or more common than some might think (this would be great to hear lol).

Anyway, general info as to these questions would be much appreciated for someone like me 2 weeks into law school, thanks!
Lottery (MBP) - they get screening interviews like everyone else. It is distinctly unlikely that those screeners lead to callbacks. 3.0 is bottom 10%. That's about 30-40 people. I'd be shocked if even one of those people has biglaw ITE.
Preselect (V) - no screening interviews.
Last edited by Kohinoor on Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:17 pm

Indubitably wrote: It would be really nice if this data was available, but it doesn't seem to be. Firms and law schools sure as hell don't release this information, and external compilations (if they even exist) are going to be highly incomplete.
Schools release this information to current students through Symplicity. You don't need to worry about any of this until the summer though, because honestly you should be gunning for top 10% no matter what.

tome

Bronze

Post by tome » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:59 am

rayiner wrote:
Indubitably wrote: It would be really nice if this data was available, but it doesn't seem to be. Firms and law schools sure as hell don't release this information, and external compilations (if they even exist) are going to be highly incomplete.
Schools release this information to current students through Symplicity. You don't need to worry about any of this until the summer though, because honestly you should be gunning for top 10% no matter what.

And this is coming from an actual gunner, so listen up!

haha, jking, but what Ray says is true.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”