Attach transcript to SA job emails? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Person

Bronze

Attach transcript to SA job emails?

Post by Person » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:40 am

Or just put your GPA on your resume?

Gold

Re: Attach transcript to SA job emails?

Post by 270910 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:42 am

Send the transcript.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:15 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:34 pm

I always think that it is important to go to the firm's site and see what they ask for. Usually they will specify. I think it shows attention to detail. Usually in the email, I also state that I would be happy to send them additional materials upon request.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:40 pm

I don't put my GPA on the resume, but attach a transcript.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:42 pm

Not putting your GPA on your resume is a really bad idea. Most employers assume that if it's not on there, it was purposefully excluded b/c it's nothing to write home about. And you cannot always guarantee that your transcript will be readily accessible to your app's reviewers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:49 pm

MrKappus wrote:Not putting your GPA on your resume is a really bad idea. Most employers assume that if it's not on there, it was purposefully excluded b/c it's nothing to write home about. And you cannot always guarantee that your transcript will be readily accessible to your app's reviewers.
What if your GPA is nothing really to write home about? AKA 3.4, which is around top 35% at my school. Different schools have different curves, so I assume that objectively a 3.4 looks bad, right?

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MrKappus wrote:Not putting your GPA on your resume is a really bad idea. Most employers assume that if it's not on there, it was purposefully excluded b/c it's nothing to write home about. And you cannot always guarantee that your transcript will be readily accessible to your app's reviewers.
What if your GPA is nothing really to write home about? AKA 3.4, which is around top 35% at my school. Different schools have different curves, so I assume that objectively a 3.4 looks bad, right?
I'm hardly an authority, but I think top 1/3 when 90% of the class wants to do well is pretty damn good. Also, 3.4 (standing alone) looks fine, unlike (say) 3.2 or 3.1. IMO.

Edit: This is TLS, and even though I attend a T1 (so, not a TLS), I have to point out that top third and 3.4 mean different things depending on the school.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:58 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:32 pm

bwv812 wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm hardly an authority, but I think top 1/3 when 90% of the class wants to do well is pretty damn good. Also, 3.4 (standing alone) looks fine, unlike (say) 3.2 or 3.1. IMO.

Edit: This is TLS, and even though I attend a T1 (so, not a TLS), I have to point out that top third and 3.4 mean different things depending on the school.
GULC advises putting your GPA on as long as it's over 3.0 (which would be bottom-third). Your school likely gives similar advice. If you don't list your GPA, people will probably assume it's lower than that.
Interesting. Michigan advises students to not put their GPA on their resumes for mailings (I think the only exception is if you have a phenomenal GPA, such as a 3.9x+). Although, I think the reason might because our GPA curve isn't as inflated as other schools (e.g. I heard something like 40% of all northwestern grads have a 3.7 or above, which would be roughly top 10% here at graduation -- not exactly fair competition at smaller/medium size firms that can't distinguish the grading scales).

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:41 pm

bwv812 wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

GULC advises putting your GPA on as long as it's over 3.0 (which would be bottom-third). Your school likely gives similar advice. If you don't list your GPA, people will probably assume it's lower than that.
Mr.K & bwv are saying what I have heard. Basically if you leave your GPA off it indicates that your grades are "poor." A 3.4 anywhere will be at least above median so I would recommend putting it on there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”