How many firms are you applying to? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
truthypants

Bronze

How many firms are you applying to?

Post by truthypants » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:36 pm

I basically sent an app to every Vault firm and am now starting to target firms on NALP and Martindale (so far, i've sent about 130 apps). How many firms are you guys applying to?

RudeDudewithAttitude

New

Re: How many firms are you applying to?

Post by RudeDudewithAttitude » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:37 pm

Wow, that's a lot. I am trying to target my cover letters so I've only managed to get about 30 out. I'd like to do another 20-30.

como

Silver

Post by como » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:00 am

I have a little over 20 sent, and I have about 5-10 to go. Each one I sent was targeted, and they were all sent to NY firms. I already have 14 interviews lined-up, so whatever I can get through these mailings will help.

thuggishruggishbone

New

Post by thuggishruggishbone » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:06 am

a little over 80 so far

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Post by ZXCVBNM » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:40 am

are you doing this in addition to OCI or do your schools have limited OCI?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:52 am

Yeah, what are we talking about here? Is this for 1L? Or are you guys just trying to a reach around you OCI structures?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:05 am

Last year I sent more than 100 applications (resume, cover letter, recommendations, writing sample) to firms in eight states.

I didn't want to depend on an OCI where 90 percent of the firms were from the small city where my LS was located.

I ended up with about six callbacks through OCI and 12 from my packages, went to about 10, and ended up with one of my top choices in my top geographical location.

Stats? Top 15 percent with law review and a couple of book awards at a TTT without much of a rep. I think being a little older and having had a previous career was looked upon favorably by employers.

But I have to say I sent out applications in late July and I think that was some part of my success. I had recruiting coordinators looking at my stuff before they were bogged down in OCI. I had three callbacks by the first week of August. If you're thinking of sending out packages now, I think you need to get them in the mail yesterday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:35 am

How much success have you guys had so far? I'm trying to send out apps to smaller firms but most don't even respond.

Person

Bronze

Post by Person » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:15 pm

I am guessing there is a deluge this year. And knowing that most people are just throwing out tons of apps must make it hard for firms. Unless you have stellar grades and come from a top school (in which case, OCI is for you anyway) I think there is probably more reason than ever to make apps targeted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:31 pm

Have an offer from 1L summer. Only applied to one other firm, have a callback scheduled there. In some ways geographic constraints make the job search much easier.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:00 pm

Person wrote:I am guessing there is a deluge this year. And knowing that most people are just throwing out tons of apps must make it hard for firms. Unless you have stellar grades and come from a top school (in which case, OCI is for you anyway) I think there is probably more reason than ever to make apps targeted.
How often do biglaw firms respond to emails? I've only gotten a couple responses asking for further documentation. And that's about it. My friend landed a biglaw job (we both go to top 10 law schools) prior to OCI, but this person has had prior work experience at a v10 and used the connections to land interviews.

I have no idea how OCI is going to turn out, which is why I want to mail other firms, but the lack of responses is frustrating. (Grades are around top 35% at a top 10, so not stellar, but not horrendous either.)

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Post by ZXCVBNM » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Person wrote:I am guessing there is a deluge this year. And knowing that most people are just throwing out tons of apps must make it hard for firms. Unless you have stellar grades and come from a top school (in which case, OCI is for you anyway) I think there is probably more reason than ever to make apps targeted.
How often do biglaw firms respond to emails? I've only gotten a couple responses asking for further documentation. And that's about it. My friend landed a biglaw job (we both go to top 10 law schools) prior to OCI, but this person has had prior work experience at a v10 and used the connections to land interviews.

I have no idea how OCI is going to turn out, which is why I want to mail other firms, but the lack of responses is frustrating. (Grades are around top 35% at a top 10, so not stellar, but not horrendous either.)
If you go to a Top 10 school odds are those firms are coming for OCI so they will either ignore your requests or respond to bid on them for OCI. Only after you don't get an interview through OCI can you contact them and show interest. Still it's an uphill battle. I emailed a firm that doesn't go to my old school's OCI and they called me a week later and invited me for a callback which was pretty cool. The other four I emailed didn't respond and I have top grades from a T30.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:03 pm

I bid on 28 firms at OCI, but I am not counting on OCI to land me a job (top third in my class at middling T1), so I have sent cover letters and resumes directly to about 65 other firms via NALPDirectory. My goal is to get to 150 cold applications by 9/1. I might strike out and not get a firm job for next summer, but it sure as hell won't be due to lack of effort on my part.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:19 pm

ZXCVBNM wrote:If you go to a Top 10 school odds are those firms are coming for OCI so they will either ignore your requests or respond to bid on them for OCI. Only after you don't get an interview through OCI can you contact them and show interest. Still it's an uphill battle. I emailed a firm that doesn't go to my old school's OCI and they called me a week later and invited me for a callback which was pretty cool. The other four I emailed didn't respond and I have top grades from a T30.
This may be the norm. However, if you have a specific reason to interview with the firm outside OCI, you should call and speak to someone in recruiting about the possibility of setting something up separately. In my case, I was only interested in one specific office that was located very close to my summer location and it was much more efficient for me to interview with the firm during the summer in that location, rather than waste time interviewing at OCI and traveling separately for a callback.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”