What percentage of ppl at T-14 at/above median?? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ResolutePear

Platinum

Re: What percentage of ppl at T-14 at/above median??

Post by ResolutePear » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:28 pm

mallard wrote:
arstech wrote:This entire thread can be summed up in three bullet points:

- In a data set such as {4.0, 3.3, 3.3, 3.3, 2.6}, there is no way of choosing a median that divides the class equally.

- OP was inquiring about the extent to which this occurs.

- betasteve needs to retake Junior High arithmetic (to learn math) as well as kindergarten (to learn how to play well with others)
No, that's not right. The OP was wondering about a situation like {4.0, 3.8, 3.6, 3.5, 3.4, 3.4, 3.4, 3.4, 3.3}.

This would obviously be a case where you would invoke the "Lawyer Kombat" clause in the student handbook where the 3.4's fight to the death vs each other for no reason whatsoever becuase they would still all be under the median.

mec30

Bronze

Post by mec30 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:29 pm

CG614 wrote: - It can be divided evenly. 1 above median, 1 below, and 3 at median.
The values can be divided equally, but you cannot divide a class for which those values are assigned equally. That’s because you cannot distinguish any 3.3 from any other, each has an equally legitimate claim to be at or above median than any other.
Last edited by mec30 on Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:30 pm

mallard wrote:

- In a data set such as {4.0, 3.3, 3.3, 3.3, 2.6}, there is no way of choosing a median that divides the class equally.

- betasteve needs to retake Junior High arithmetic (to learn math) as well as kindergarten (to learn how to play well with others)
No, that's not right. The OP was wondering about a situation like {4.0, 3.8, 3.6, 3.5, 3.4, 3.4, 3.4, 3.4, 3.3}.

ITT: I discover that "top law school" students are i)nowhere near as smart as i thought they were and ii) willing to completely change and reinterpret a users post to support whatever they are trying to say at the time..

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:31 pm

Just go to Yale and don't worry about where you are in class rank.. if you're THAT worried about it.

mec30

Bronze

Post by mec30 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:34 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
mallard wrote:

This would obviously be a case where you would invoke the "Lawyer Kombat" clause in the student handbook where the 3.4's fight to the death vs each other for no reason whatsoever becuase they would still all be under the median.
lol

but the bolded is not true.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:39 pm

mec30 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
mallard wrote:

lol

Well, I'm not claiming to be an expert on this...

But if 3 of the 4 3.4's died.. you're left with.. {4.0, 3.8, 3.6, 3.5, 3.4, 3.3}

In which case the mean would be 3.6 and the median would probably be somewhere around there between 3.6 and 3.5 - considering just the sample given.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:46 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
mallard wrote:

FINISH HIM!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:48 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
mallard wrote:

FINISH HIM!
Up+Down+Right+Right+Left+Punch+Kick+Jab = DEBTALITY!

mec30

Bronze

Post by mec30 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:01 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
mec30 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
mallard wrote:

lol

But if 3 of the 4 3.4's died.. you're left with.. {4.0, 3.8, 3.6, 3.5, 3.4, 3.3}

In which case the mean would be 3.6 and the median would probably be somewhere around there between 3.6 and 3.5 - considering just the sample given.
LMAO, wow. Good call, you've got to keep the other 3.4s alive. KOs only.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:08 pm

mec30 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
mec30 wrote:[quote="ResolutePear
lol

LMAO, wow. Good call, you've got to keep the other 3.4s alive. KOs only.[/quote]

Well if that's the case then I'm ruined.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:12 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
mallard wrote:

ITT: I discover that "top law school" students are i)nowhere near as smart as i thought they were and ii) willing to completely change and reinterpret a users post to support whatever they are trying to say at the time..
What? You said multiple times that you were wondering about a situation in which "at or above median" extended past 50%. I guess, actually, this could include a situation like the one the guy I was responding to described, but it could also include a situation like the one I was describing too.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:14 pm

mallard wrote: What? You said multiple times that you were wondering about a situation in which "at or above median" extended past 50%. I guess, actually, this could include a situation like the one the guy I was responding to described, but it could also include a situation like the one I was describing too.
Ehh was referring to the summarizing of the thread but was too lazy to edit the quotes..

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:15 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
mallard wrote: What? You said multiple times that you were wondering about a situation in which "at or above median" extended past 50%. I guess, actually, this could include a situation like the one the guy I was responding to described, but it could also include a situation like the one I was describing too.
Ehh was referring to the summarizing of the thread but was too lazy to edit the quotes..
Okay, yeah.

I do think people were a little egregious at the beginning, including myself, but I seriously hope you're not spending too much energy on this issue.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:17 pm

mallard wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
Okay, yeah.

I do think people were a little egregious at the beginning, including myself, but I seriously hope you're not spending too much energy on this issue.
No energy at all, it was just a thought.. I work an internship that requires a lot of data collection from an information warehouse via a VPN.. I often have A LOT of downtime between database queries.

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:19 pm

mallard wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
Okay, yeah.

:lol: after I did the math last night I was really hoping that this thread would die so I wouldn't be reminded of how sad my Monday evening was.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:19 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
No energy at all, it was just a thought.. I work an internship that requires a lot of data collection from an information warehouse via a VPN.. I often have A LOT of downtime between database queries.
I feel your pain. Half my TLSing is waiting for my ancient server to run a query.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
I feel your pain. Half my TLSing is waiting for my ancient server to run a query.
That must be one slow ass server. ha

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”