Most stable job - lawyer!?!? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
deathviaboredom

Bronze
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:21 pm

Most stable job - lawyer!?!?

Post by deathviaboredom » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:58 pm


User avatar
jayn3

Silver
Posts: 664
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Most stable job - lawyer!?!?

Post by jayn3 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:59 pm

they clearly haven't seen this.

User avatar
A'nold

Gold
Posts: 3617
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Most stable job - lawyer!?!?

Post by A'nold » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:16 am

Actually, contrary to the idiotic posts on this site, "lawyer" is a very stable job.

User avatar
crazycanuck

Gold
Posts: 3493
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:04 pm

Re: Most stable job - lawyer!?!?

Post by crazycanuck » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:03 am

Once you make partner it's probably the most stable job you can get.

Especially once you compare partners to CEOs/CFOs/other industry comparables who head their organizations.

User avatar
MrKappus

Gold
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Most stable job - lawyer!?!?

Post by MrKappus » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:08 am

Latham, v. (la-them), Lathamed
1. To layoff majority of First Year Associates in one office after only several months of work, before they even have any real written reviews;
2. to kill, destroy, fire without cause or dash one's hopes and dreams.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


User avatar
let/them/eat/cake

Silver
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: Most stable job - lawyer!?!?

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:14 am

holy shit, this must be the nadir of self-awareness and irony:

"But it is bad form on campuses to bask in one's success, said Sue Landsittel, a Northwestern law student who will clerk at the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Seattle and join a top corporate firm after that. 'You want to celebrate your own good fortune, but you have to remember it's a delicate issue.'"

User avatar
A'nold

Gold
Posts: 3617
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Most stable job - lawyer!?!?

Post by A'nold » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:14 am

let/them/eat/cake wrote:holy shit, this must be the nadir of self-awareness and irony:

"But it is bad form on campuses to bask in one's success, said Sue Landsittel, a Northwestern law student who will clerk at the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Seattle and join a top corporate firm after that. 'You want to celebrate your own good fortune, but you have to remember it's a delicate issue.'"
Haha!

User avatar
cahesu

New
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:19 pm

Re: Most stable job - lawyer!?!?

Post by cahesu » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:29 am

--ImageRemoved--

3ThrowAway99

Gold
Posts: 2005
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Most stable job - lawyer!?!?

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:35 am

Repo man made the list of top 10 most stable jobs in NY. :lol:


Just to clarify given the snob memes that were posted (don't think they were directed at this post but I'm not sure): I didn't intend to mock anyone or someone's bad fortune, it just really cracked me up to see a picture of a guy breaking into someone's car along with the listing cited as the ninth most stable employment option in NY. :D
Last edited by 3ThrowAway99 on Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


User avatar
A'nold

Gold
Posts: 3617
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Most stable job - lawyer!?!?

Post by A'nold » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:49 pm

cahesu wrote:--ImageRemoved--
Haha.

User avatar
jack duluoz

Bronze
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:26 pm

Re: Most stable job - lawyer!?!?

Post by jack duluoz » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:56 pm

"Job: Lawyer

Qualifications: A law degree and bar membership

Salaries: Start at $160K + bonus at the major firms


Safe because: There will be a wave of bankruptcy litigation as well as securities fraud suits and all of the various parties - creditors, insurers, and directors - will need lawyers.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/money/toplis ... z0tCmJlKIt"

User avatar
legalease9

Silver
Posts: 621
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Most stable job - lawyer!?!?

Post by legalease9 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:59 pm

Law is more stable than people on this site make it out to be. Now Law at 160k can be very unstable, especially ite. But if you look at the stats, most JD's (even from low-level schools) are employed at something related to law nine months after graduation!

While this may not be exciting when you are exiting out of law school with 100-200k in debt and you land a job paying 30k, compared to most professions, law is stable.

This idea i've heard on TLS that "any college graduate can land a job that pays 40k, so you might as well do that instead" is totally untrue. Most liberal arts graduates can't land shit Ite. And having a law degree will lead you to be more employable, so long as you are trying to work in the legal field.

NONE of this is to say Law school is necessarily worth it (especially if lack a strong desire to practice law and/or have a good paying job already), but a law degree will improve your chances of employment.

User avatar
legalease9

Silver
Posts: 621
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Most stable job - lawyer!?!?

Post by legalease9 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:00 pm

jack duluoz wrote:"Job: Lawyer

Qualifications: A law degree and bar membership

Salaries: Start at $160K + bonus at the major firms


Safe because: There will be a wave of bankruptcy litigation as well as securities fraud suits and all of the various parties - creditors, insurers, and directors - will need lawyers.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/money/toplis ... z0tCmJlKIt"
Yes, the bolded is epic bullshit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


AJRESQ

New
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:45 pm

Re: Most stable job - lawyer!?!?

Post by AJRESQ » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:00 pm

A'nold wrote:Actually, contrary to the idiotic posts on this site, "lawyer" is a very stable job.
Eh... depends on your practice areas. Imagine if your biggest client was Blockbuster Video.

It's stable for lawyers who know how to adapt and read the market.

dk8

Bronze
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: Most stable job - lawyer!?!?

Post by dk8 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:02 pm

Lawquacious wrote:Repo man made the list of top 10 most stable jobs in NY. :lol:
I think this will be my fall back plan

User avatar
legalease9

Silver
Posts: 621
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Most stable job - lawyer!?!?

Post by legalease9 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:02 pm

I say college admissions officer is the way to go!

sumus romani

Silver
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: Most stable job - lawyer!?!?

Post by sumus romani » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:05 pm

crazycanuck wrote:Once you make partner it's probably the most stable job you can get.

Especially once you compare partners to CEOs/CFOs/other industry comparables who head their organizations.

Let's try to to lose our heads here. I can think of tons of jobs that are more stable than partner at a law firm. How about tenured professor, for one?

Why the 'especially' sentence, which restricts the class of comparison to jobs with extremely high turnover? Just plain not helpful.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


User avatar
presh

Platinum
Posts: 8368
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Most stable job - lawyer!?!?

Post by presh » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:10 pm

.
Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

AJRESQ

New
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:45 pm

Re: Most stable job - lawyer!?!?

Post by AJRESQ » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:13 pm

legalease9 wrote:Law is more stable than people on this site make it out to be. Now Law at 160k can be very unstable, especially ite. But if you look at the stats, most JD's (even from low-level schools) are employed at something related to law nine months after graduation!

While this may not be exciting when you are exiting out of law school with 100-200k in debt and you land a job paying 30k, compared to most professions, law is stable.

This idea i've heard on TLS that "any college graduate can land a job that pays 40k, so you might as well do that instead" is totally untrue. Most liberal arts graduates can't land shit Ite. And having a law degree will lead you to be more employable, so long as you are trying to work in the legal field.

NONE of this is to say Law school is necessarily worth it (especially if lack a strong desire to practice law and/or have a good paying job already), but a law degree will improve your chances of employment.
The "employed 9 months out in law" is misleading. That can mean temporary document review or employed by your school's career services in a temp job. Plus, it only applies to people who bother to fill out the form.

In my opinion, the going salary for newly minted lawyers outside of biglaw is between $35k - $60k. 5 or 10 years out, on average it's somewhere in the six figures with a lot of outliers. A PI lawyer can make $800k in fees off the right case. A solo who bills 40 hours a week at $200 an hour, takes a two week vacation, and gets paid for every single hour he bills makes about $350k a year, minus overhead. Which means if you want to make a lot of money, you need to hire associates and bill them out at a profit, and have enough work to cover the associates' overhead.

User avatar
General Tso

Gold
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Most stable job - lawyer!?!?

Post by General Tso » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:14 pm

legalease9 wrote: This idea i've heard on TLS that "any college graduate can land a job that pays 40k, so you might as well do that instead" is totally untrue. Most liberal arts graduates can't land shit Ite. And having a law degree will lead you to be more employable, so long as you are trying to work in the legal field.
Agree 100%. Many of the college/starting salary articles you see floating around the web are completely bogus. Eg) all of the Yahoo articles claiming engineers make 65k on average to start. That may be true for engineers coming out of T20 undergrads who landed competitive internships, but for the other 90% of engineers it is more like 35-45k.

And like you say, libarts grads are faring far worse.

User avatar
A'nold

Gold
Posts: 3617
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Most stable job - lawyer!?!?

Post by A'nold » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:42 pm

General Tso wrote:
legalease9 wrote: This idea i've heard on TLS that "any college graduate can land a job that pays 40k, so you might as well do that instead" is totally untrue. Most liberal arts graduates can't land shit Ite. And having a law degree will lead you to be more employable, so long as you are trying to work in the legal field.
Agree 100%. Many of the college/starting salary articles you see floating around the web are completely bogus. Eg) all of the Yahoo articles claiming engineers make 65k on average to start. That may be true for engineers coming out of T20 undergrads who landed competitive internships, but for the other 90% of engineers it is more like 35-45k.

And like you say, libarts grads are faring far worse.
This is the 100% truth, thus why all of the scam bloggers and those that believe that crap are absolutely retarded.

Edit: scambloggers either went to FESTERING ttt's like Florida Coastal or went in looking for big $$$$ and didn't get it upon graduation. Nothing more, nothing less.

These people should focus on the Cooley's of the world and the UG festering ripoffs like the University of Pheonix where they rip you off for 100k+ and actually make you basically less marketable than if you would have never gone in the first place.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


User avatar
legalease9

Silver
Posts: 621
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Most stable job - lawyer!?!?

Post by legalease9 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:54 pm

sumus romani wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:Once you make partner it's probably the most stable job you can get.

Especially once you compare partners to CEOs/CFOs/other industry comparables who head their organizations.

Let's try to to lose our heads here. I can think of tons of jobs that are more stable than partner at a law firm. How about tenured professor, for one?

Why the 'especially' sentence, which restricts the class of comparison to jobs with extremely high turnover? Just plain not helpful.
You can't compare a tenured professor to a starting legal associate. A tenured professor is like a firm partner. Both are INCREDIBLY stable. But both take a lot of work/luck/political maneuvering to achieve.

nn223

New
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:45 pm

Re: Most stable job - lawyer!?!?

Post by nn223 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:44 pm

jayn3 wrote:they clearly haven't seen this.
--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
clintonius

Silver
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Most stable job - lawyer!?!?

Post by clintonius » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:16 pm

legalease9 wrote:
sumus romani wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:Once you make partner it's probably the most stable job you can get.

Especially once you compare partners to CEOs/CFOs/other industry comparables who head their organizations.
Let's try to to lose our heads here. I can think of tons of jobs that are more stable than partner at a law firm. How about tenured professor, for one?

Why the 'especially' sentence, which restricts the class of comparison to jobs with extremely high turnover? Just plain not helpful.
You can't compare a tenured professor to a starting legal associate. A tenured professor is like a firm partner. Both are INCREDIBLY stable. But both take a lot of work/luck/political maneuvering to achieve.
Um...

User avatar
chicagolaw2013

Silver
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Most stable job - lawyer!?!?

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:20 pm

legalease9 wrote:Law is more stable than people on this site make it out to be. Now Law at 160k can be very unstable, especially ite. But if you look at the stats, most JD's (even from low-level schools) are employed at something related to law nine months after graduation!

While this may not be exciting when you are exiting out of law school with 100-200k in debt and you land a job paying 30k, compared to most professions, law is stable.

This idea i've heard on TLS that "any college graduate can land a job that pays 40k, so you might as well do that instead" is totally untrue. Most liberal arts graduates can't land shit Ite. And having a law degree will lead you to be more employable, so long as you are trying to work in the legal field.

NONE of this is to say Law school is necessarily worth it (especially if lack a strong desire to practice law and/or have a good paying job already), but a law degree will improve your chances of employment.
I'm a prime example of the bolded. Not the reason I'm going to law school, but the reason I'm going to law school NOW. Kind of wanted to get on my feet financially before taking on more debt, but I graduated from UG and the economy fucking exploded, so now was the time to do it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”