Texas vs. Duke Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Texas vs. Duke

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:52 pm

So here's the deal, I am all but set on going to UT. However, it appears I may have the opportunity to go to Duke, starting in the Fall of 2011 (anyone who just got that wait-list update knows what I'm talking about). Which school would y'all recommend? I am from Texas and want to go into BigLaw. I've always thought I would return to Texas, but I went to school in the South and would be just as happy remaining there, maybe more happy. I have Texas in-state plus $. At Duke I would have no financial aid (I assume). Thankfully, I'm in a position where debt will not be a problem, but the money that is leftover from law school will be mine. So the difference would be graduating with an extra 60-70k and a JD from Texas or basically graduating with no money in my bank account, no debt either, and a JD from Duke. Any thoughts? I would end up working this year and maybe doing a bit of traveling. Do you think the finances/year off are reasons to definitely go to Texas? Or is the national portability and BigLaw placement that much better at Duke and worth the wait/$$$?

Return to “Legal Employment”