how much do individual grades matter? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Tsispilos

Bronze

how much do individual grades matter?

Post by Tsispilos » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:33 am

The wisdom at xoxo appears to be that at the top schools, A=A, B=D, and C=F. If you've got, say, a 3.6 at a T14, but that results from having mostly A's and A-'s tarnished by a few sub-median grades, is that really looked at as "wow, this guy REALLY FUCKED UP on those classes?"

lsat_fear

New

Re: how much do individual grades matter?

Post by lsat_fear » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:43 am

dude. . . .

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:55 am

Tsispilos wrote:The wisdom at xoxo appears to be that at the top schools, A=A, B=D, and C=F. If you've got, say, a 3.6 at a T14, but that results from having mostly A's and A-'s tarnished by a few sub-median grades, is that really looked at as "wow, this guy REALLY FUCKED UP on those classes?"
This is pertinent to my interests. 6 A's, an A-, and a B. Should I address this, will they ask about it? I'm happy to just stand on my cumulative, but I don't want them to think I blew off the class or something.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:31 am

Tsispilos wrote:The wisdom at xoxo appears to be that at the top schools, A=A, B=D, and C=F. If you've got, say, a 3.6 at a T14, but that results from having mostly A's and A-'s tarnished by a few sub-median grades, is that really looked at as "wow, this guy REALLY FUCKED UP on those classes?"
What exactly is the question? Whether you need to have a 4.0 because anythin less than an A is bad? Or whether it is better to have consistent A-'s rather than a smattering of A+'s and B's but have the same gpa?

Tsispilos

Bronze

Post by Tsispilos » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:38 am

rando wrote:
What exactly is the question? Whether you need to have a 4.0 because anythin less than an A is bad? Or whether it is better to have consistent A-'s rather than a smattering of A+'s and B's but have the same gpa?
the emphasized part.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:50 am

Tsispilos wrote:
rando wrote:
the emphasized part.
In my experience it doesnt matter. Basically have a perfect transcript except a flat B in a core class that many think essential. Never got questions about it and it never affected my prospects. You have to realize that the question cuts both ways. Employers seeing you booked classes know that you are a great student but they also realize what can happen on any random exam; time pressures, laptop issues, crazy profs etc.

Lawof_theLand

New

Post by Lawof_theLand » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:58 am

I don't think it matters. If you are looking for an entry level position with no other WE, then its class rank that matters.

Specific grades in specific classes (if they're all A's and B's) only really matter if you are looking for a job in academia.

The real world runs on bullet points, like honors at graduation, memberships, GPA, competitions won, and class rank; the things a firm will say about you in three sentences in their newletter after you are hired.

As your carreer progresses, fewer and fewer of your academic accomplishments will make it onto your resume as real world accomplishments give the academics the boot.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:23 pm

It's not going to matter unless the grade is awful, like a C+. Few people are perfect.

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:41 pm

During EIW, I had a few conversations with interviewers about an A+ I was fortunate to receive. So I think unusual grades (D's, C's, maybe B-'s, and A+'s/book awards) may get noticed. But, if your overall GPA is respectable, I don't think any firm (other than WLRK) is going to care about whether you got a couple B's.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”