government jobs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

government jobs

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:04 am

How hard would it be for someone in the top third of their class at a T1 to land a job at the DOJ or SEC?

Gold

Re: government jobs

Post by 98234872348 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:How hard would it be for someone in the top third of their class at a T1 to land a job at the DOJ or SEC?
Pretty sure damn near impossible.

Also, why so anonymous?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:24 am

What type of grades/rankings should someone be aiming for to get jobs like those?

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:03 am

blackacre

New

Post by blackacre » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:44 am

I know of a T2 that one person from the two classes before me have gotten DOJ Honors. Both on law review/journal, but both from a T2. Not saying it isn't really selective, but people on this forum tend to make inferences about jobs based on the inferences other people on this forum make.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hithere

Bronze

Post by hithere » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:07 am

They are as difficult to get as biglaw.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:28 am

I think government jobs tend to have a mystique about them because their review process is not as straightforward as a firm. With a firm, if you're in a certain % at your school (depending on where you are), then you'll probably get a job (well at least traditionally, ITE who knows?). With the government, they tend to undertake a more comprehensive review of your application. They will look beyond %, GPA, and law review. For those things, you need to be beyond a certain threshold (I've heard it varies by school like firm jobs) but then after that it's really a matter of "does this person have an interest in our particular mission/work/etc?" When you look at the application/number of acceptances ratio, government jobs such as the DOJ/SEC look abysmal. However, in reality, a fairly large number of people submit poor applications and they're immediately weeded out. You actually need to be fairly tailored in your application (e.g. cover letter directed towards the agency, related activities to the agency's mission). It helps to have spent your summers at government jobs (a fair number of which will lead to permanent offers) because this shows you're not just going to jump ship when the economy is doing better (this is a HUGE problem for a lot of government agencies because they can't compete $$ wise with a large law firm). From what I've seen, people tend to submit very generic applications to government agencies, treating them as a backup plan. Either that or they don't know how to write a proper government application (ask around, you can figure it out). If you spend some time on your application and assuming you're over a certain threshold (top 1/3 at a T25 is probably good enough although selectivity varies by school and agency), you should have a shot though it's still no guarantee.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”